Chicken Cordon Blue – tender chicken, ham and Swiss cheese rolled and breaded. Delicious!
When I was growing up there were certain sounds that I loved to hear coming from the kitchen. One of those sounds was that of my mother’s meat mallet pounding away in the kitchen. That sound meant one of two things. We were having my mom’s “round steaks” or we were having Cordon Blue. Both of which were meals I loved.
My mother made her Cordon Blue with traditional veal, and deep fried the rolls of breaded goodness. This version that I am sharing today is made with chicken cutlets and is baked.
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In your food processor, combine 2 cups of bread crumbs, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 3/4 teaspoon thyme. Pulse these together a few times, until very fine. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish.
In another dish, whisk 2 eggs and 1/3 cup of milk until frothy.
In a third dish, place about a cup of flour.
Now for the substance. You’ll need a package of thin chicken cutlets, some Swiss cheese, and some sliced ham from the deli. I used about 4 ounces of cheese. You’ll cut the cheese into sticks – and you’ll need as many “cheese sticks” as you have chicken cutlets. You’ll need the same number of ham slices. And you’ll need some toothpicks.
Place a slice of ham and a cheese stick on a chicken cutlet.
Roll them up tightly and secure with toothpicks.
Dredge the roll in the flour, then coat with the egg wash, and then with the bread crumbs.
Place it on a baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the chicken cutlets, ham and cheese.
Bake these for 35-40 minutes or until they are cooked through.
Look at that gorgeous, gooey cheese!
Carefully remove the toothpicks.
Serve with your favorite sides.
- 2 c bread crumbs
- ⅓ c parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp thyme
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ c milk
- 1 c flour
- 8 thin chicken cutlets
- 8 slices of deli ham
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, cut into 8 sticks
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In your food processor, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and thyme. Pulse these together a few times, until very fine. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish. In another dish, whisk the eggs and milk until frothy. In a third dish, place the flour. Place a slice of ham and a cheese stick on a chicken cutlet. Roll them up tightly and secure with toothpicks. Dredge the roll in the flour, then coat with the egg wash, and then with the bread crumbs. Place it on a baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the chicken cutlets, ham and cheese. Bake these for 35-40 minutes or until they are cooked through. Carefully remove the toothpicks. Enjoy!
Starters and Snacks
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso (cheese stuffed cornmeal cakes) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Pierogie Shells by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root Lettuce Wraps with Beluga Lentils by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu’s Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Rolls by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Lemon and Herbed Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por – Persian Stuffed Eggplant by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Rolled Greek Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl’s Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic “Wrapped” Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Cabbage Venison Lettuce Wraps With Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
All things Sweet
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Lemon Curd Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear’s Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.