Casseroles are the epitome of comfort food and what better way to end a great meal, than with dessert casserole. Butterscotch Bread Pudding is creamy and delicious with a hint of bourbon caramel and a sprinkling of pecans.
To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
In a saucepan, combine 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1/4 cup bourbon. Heat this over medium heat until it begins to bubble. Let is bubble for a minute then remove it from the heat.
Measure out a half cup of the sauce, and let it cool. The remaining sauce can be left in the saucepan or placed in a dish. Set those aside for now.
In a bowl, whisk 8 eggs until they are well blended.
To the eggs, add 2 cups of half & half, 2 cups of milk and 2/3 cup sugar. Pour in the 1/2 cup of cooled caramel sauce. Whisk these together.
Add in 1 cup of coarsely chopped pecans. Stir these together.
In a large bowl, place 8 cups of sourdough bread that have been cut or torn into 1/2 inch pieces. Add in your egg mixture and fold them together.
Pour the mixture into an oiled, shallow 2 quart casserole dish. You can also use a 9×13 baking dish.
Cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes or until the pudding is set in the center when you jiggle the dish.
Mmmmmmm! Warm up the reserved caramel sauce and drizzle it over the servings.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup bourbon whiskey
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups half & half
- 2 cups milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 8 cups of sourdough bread cubes (1/2 inch pieces)
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, vanilla and bourbon. Heat this over medium heat until it begins to bubble. Let is bubble for a minute then remove it from the heat.
- Measure out a half cup of the sauce, and let it cool. The remaining sauce can be left in the saucepan or placed in a dish. Set those aside for now.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until they are well blended.
- To the eggs, add the half & half, milk and sugar. Pour in the ½ cup of cooled caramel sauce. Whisk these together.
- Add in the pecans. Stir these together.
- In a large bowl, place 8 cups of sourdough bread that have been cut or torn into ½ inch pieces. Add in your egg mixture and fold them together.
- Pour the mixture into an oiled, shallow 2 quart casserole dish. You can also use a 9×13 baking dish.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes or until the pudding is set in the center when you jiggle the dish.
- Warm up the reserved caramel sauce and drizzle it over the servings.
This week’s Sunday Supper is all about Captivating Casseroles – check out all that the Sunday Supper team has shared today!
Captivating Breakfast Casseroles
- Boozy Baked French Toast from Brunch with Joy
- Orange & Date Wife Saver Breakfast Casserole from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Spinach, Sausage and Polenta Breakfast Casserole from The Redhead Baker
Appetizing Casserole Sides
- Baked Cauli-Tots Casserole from Cupcake and Kale Chips
- Savory Sweet Potato and Sausage Bread Pudding from Nik Snacks
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Casserole from Take A Bite Out of Boca
Main Event Casseroles
- Artichoke and Spinach Macaroni and Cheese Casserole from Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Penne with Roasted Cauliflower and Italian Sausage from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bison Meatloaf Casserole from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cheesy Chicken Corkscrew Casserole from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cheesy, Creamy, Cauliflower and Sausage Casserole from Eating In Instead
- Chicken Enchiladas from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chicken Ramen Mini Casseroles from The Ninja Baker
- Chicken with Whole Grains Casserole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chinese Noodle Casserole from Momma’s Meals
- Crab Casserole for Two from Magnolia Days
- Homemade Poppy Seed Chicken from Food Done Light
- Fully Loaded Tater Tot Casserole from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- King Ranch Casserole from The Texan New Yorker
- King Ranch Mac and Cheese from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Ziti with Meatballs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Mexican Lasagna from MealDiva
- Mom’s Taco Casserole from Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Moroccan Polenta Casserole from Pancake Warriors
- Moussaka from Nosh My Way
- Neeps & Tatties Casserole from Happy Baking Days
- Quick No Boil Tuna Pasta Bake from Mess Makes Food
- Sausage Peppers and Onion Pasta Casserole from Family Foodie
- Southwestern Spaghetti Pie from The Messy Baker
- Cheesy, Layered Italian Pasta Torta from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Stove-top Four Cheese Mac and Cheese from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Supreme Pizza Strata from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet Corn and Green Chile Chicken Tamale Pie from Simply Healthy Family
- Taco Casserole from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Decadent Dessert and Sweet Casseroles
- Baked Lemon Dessert from Food Lust People Love
- The Best Homemade Cinnamon Rolls from Pies and Plots
- Butterscotch Bread Pudding from The Foodie Army Wife
- Classic Apple Crisp from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Ultimate Deep Dish Brownies from Recipe for Perfection
- Vegan Oreo Rice Krispie Treats from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET/6:00 pm CST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.