This week, the #SundaySupper movement turns 1 year old! I didn’t discover this wonderful group until April, but we are celebrating by sharing recipes that we have been dying to make, inspired by other contributors. I have wanted to make this lovely bread since I saw Patsy from FamFriendsFood.com, post it. I have jumped on the opportunity to do so. Here is my take on it.
I adjusted this recipe to make two loaves, since I was taking one as a treat for a meeting. Food makes meetings much more enjoyable. If I do say so myself.
I also made some other minor changes… I don’t follow directions well. She swirled dulce de leche in the top of hers before baking, but I chose to finish it off with a caramel topping instead.
To begin preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease to standard loaf pans, set aside.
In a bowl, combine 4 cups of flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp allspice. Stir them together and set it aside.
In your mixing bowl, combine 2 sticks of room temperature butter, with 2 cups of sugar.
Beat those together until fluffy, and then add in 4 eggs, one at a time. Mix well.
Measure out 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and set it aside for a moment.
Now peel and dice 2 Granny Smith Apples.
It is times like this that I especially miss having chickens. My girls would come running for goodies like this, when I called them.
Stir in the diced apples.
Spread the mixture into the loaf pans.
Bake them for one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Allow them to cool for a couple minutes, and then remove them from the pans to a baking rack.
Now for the topping.
Measure out 2 teaspoons vanilla, and set that aside. In a saucepan, you will combine 1/3 cup each of brown sugar, white sugar, butter and half & half.
Whisk the mixture together over medium heat, and bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 3 minutes, stirring continually. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
Spread the topping all over the tops of the warm loaves.
Don’t these look delicious?
I have to say, that when my meeting that night was over, I brought home an empty plate. I love bringing home empty plates – it is the stamp of approval for foodies!
- 4 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 2 c sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) room temperature butter
- 4 eggs
- ½ c buttermilk
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- ⅓ c sugar
- ⅓ c butter
- ⅓ c half & half
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 standard loaf pans, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. Stir together and set aside.
- In your mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time.
- Mix half of the flour mixture into the creamy mixture until just incorporated. Next, mix in the buttermilk, and then finish with the remaining flour mixture, until just combined. Stir in your diced apples.
- Spread the mixture into the loaf pans, and bake for 1 hour or until they test done with a toothpick. Allow the loaves to cool a couple minutes, and then remove them from a pan, to a cooling rack. Prepare the topping.
- Measure out the vanilla and set it aside. Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan, and melt it over medium heat, stirring with a whisk. Bring it to a boil, and let it boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and brush over the tops of the loaves.
Check out how all of the other contributors decided to celebrate #SundaySupper’s birthday this week! I am honored to have a couple of my own recipes selected.
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspired by The Meltaways
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- (GlutenFree) Chicken Bruschetta by The Meltaways inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken by Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People Love inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
- Mac n Cheese Cups with Pork Shoulder Ragu by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro & Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Foodie Army Wife inspired by Fam Friends Food
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries by An Appealing Plan inspired by The Messy Baker Blog
Sunday Supper Breakfast Faves:
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In The Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings
A New Addition:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 3:00 pm Alaska time / 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.