To begin, line two muffin pans with papers. Set aside. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, combine 3 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Stir together and set aside.
In your mixing bowl, beat 3 eggs.
Pour in 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
3/4 cup sour cream.
1/2 cup of plain applesauce
and a cup each of sugar and brown sugar, along with 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Beat those until creamy and smooth.
Add in the flour mixture. Mix until smooth.
Core and dice 3 cups of Granny Smith apple.
Stir in the apples. Scoop the batter into the baking pans. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until they test done with a tooth pick.
Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
Now for the icing. Melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter in a saucepan.
Add in a cup of brown sugar and 1/3 cup half & half.
Stir these together over medium heat, until melted and it begins to boil.
Allow it to boil 1 minute, and then while stirring vigorously, add in a teaspoon of vanilla. Turn off the heat and stir for another minute.
Set aside 2 tablespoons of the caramel sauce.
Place the rest in your mixing bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
Mix in 3 cups of powdered sugar, mixing until smooth.
If it is too thick, add a couple tablespoons of milk.
Dip the cupcakes into the icing.
Drizzle with a little of the reserved caramel sauce. If the sauce is too thick, pop it in the microwave for 5 seconds to thin it.
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c brown sugar
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- ½ c plain apple sauce
- ¾ c sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 c diced apples
- 1 stick (1/2 c) butter
- 1 c brown sugar
- ⅓ c half & half
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tb milk, if needed
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin pans (24 cupcakes) with papers. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir together, and set aside. In your mixing bowl beat the eggs. Add in the sugars, oil, applesauce, sour cream and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add in the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in the diced apples. Scoop the batter into the pans. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until they test done with a toothpick. Remove from the pan and cool on a rack.
- To prepare the frosting, melt the butter, brown sugar and half & half together in a sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continually. Boil for 1 minute. While stirring vigorously, add in the vanilla. Remove from heat and stir for another minute. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the caramel in a dish. Pour the remaining sauce into your mixing bowl to cool to room temperature. Stir occasionally. When the sauce is cooled, mix in the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. If it is too thick, add the milk and beat.
- Dip the cupcakes into the icing. Drizzle a little of the reserved caramel sauce on the tops. If the sauce is too thick to drizzle, pop it in the microwave for 5 seconds.