When it comes to brownies, there seem to be two camps. The fudgy or chewy brownie camp, and the cake-like brownie camp.
I am of the chewy camp, and these are my favorite brownies.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking pan, and set it aside.
In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup Baking Cocoa.
1 1/2 cup Flour
and 1 1/4 tsp Salt.
Give it a stir, and set it aside.
In a small saucepan, place 1/2 cup (1 stick) of Butter.
To that, you will add 1/4 cup Shortening.
Melt them over low heat. Once they are melted, remove them from the heat so it can cool slightly.
In a mixing bowl…put 3 Eggs.
Add 2 cups Sugar
and 1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
Beat these together and add the butter mixture.
Now, add in the dry ingredients, about half at a time.
Be sure to scrape the bowl and get everything combined.
To the batter, you are going to add 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped Nuts…however much you like, and whatever kind you like. I prefer Pecans.
Spread the thick chocolaty goodness into your baking dish.
Spread it even, and then bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- ¾ c. Baking Cocoa
- 1 ½ c Flour
- 1 ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ c Butter
- ¼ c Shortening
- 3 Eggs
- 2 c Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla
- ½ - 1 cup chopped Pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x13 inch baking pan, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cocoa, flour and salt. Stir, and set aside. In a small saucepan, melt butter and shortening over low heat. When melted, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In mixing bowl, beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix in butter mixture. Add dry mixture about a half at a time, mixing well. Be sure to scrape bowl. Stir in nuts.
- Spread evenly into baking dish. Bake 25 - 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.