I really do believe that apple is my favorite fruit to bake with. Although pumpkin is right up there as well, many people don’t really look at that as a fruit. But apples? Oh yes. My favorite, and these Chunky Apple Muffins are a great way to start any morning with that wonderful fruit.
I made these simple muffins recently for my bible study ladies, and the ultimate sign that a recipe is a hit, is when there aren’t any left to bring home. There were none.
I used Granny Smith apple in these muffins, but you can use any firm baking apple. I also pretty much never peel the apples when I bake with them. There’s lots of nutrition and fiber in those peels!
The muffins are topped with a sprinkling of demerera (raw) sugar before baking, to give the tops a nice crunch.
Enjoy these beauties with your morning coffee, or as an afternoon snack.
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 stick (1/2 c) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1 large Granny Smith (or other firm baking) apple, cored and diced
- ⅓ c finely chopped pecans, optional
- 12 tsp demerera (raw) sugar, divided
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with papers.
- In a bowl, combine your flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Give them a stir to mix. Set that aside for a moment.
- In your mixing bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar. Mix those together. Add in the egg and vanilla, and mix those together.
- Add in half of your dry mixture, mix until combined.
- Add in the buttermilk, mix that in and then add the remaining half of the dry ingredients. Again, mix until these are combined.
- Fold in the diced apples and pecans if you chose to add those, mixing with a rubber spatula.
- Scoop the batter into your muffin pan.
- Top each muffin with a teaspoon of the demerera sugar.
- Bake your muffins for 25-30 minutes or until they test done with a toothpick.
- Serve your muffins warm or allow them to cool on a rack.
[Tweet “Start your morning with Chunky Apple Muffins #recipe”]