Crockpot Curry Chicken is a savory curry dish with tender chicken, sweet cranberries and crunchy cashews served on a bed or couscous or rice.
To begin, dice an onion, mince 6 cloves of garlic, and grate 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger.
In a skillet, sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until they are just tender.
Stir in a tablespoon of tomato sauce.
4 teaspoons of curry powder.
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
and a teaspoon each of salt & pepper. Stir it all together and pour it into your crockpot.
Stir in 3 tablespoons of “minute” tapioca.
Cut up 3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 2 inch pieces.
Stir this all together, cover and cook on low for 4 1/2 hours.
Stir in a half cup of dried cranberries and a teaspoon of cilantro…
and 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped cashews. Cook for an additional 30 minutes. (Now is the time to cook your couscous or rice to serve with this.)
When it is done cooking, stir in a half cup of plain yogurt.
Ladle your chicken and sauce over a bed of couscous and rice. Enjoy!
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 Tb grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tb tomato paste
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 2½ c chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tb "minute" tapioca
- 3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ c dried cranberries
- 1 tsp cilantro
- ½ c cashews, coarsely chopped
- ½ c plain yogurt
- couscous or rice for serving
- To begin, dice your onion, mince the garlic and grate the ginger. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the veggies in it until just tender. Stir in the tomato paste, curry powder, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Pour into your corckpot. Stir in the tapioca. Cut the chicken into 2 inch pieces and stir them into the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 4½ hours. Stir in the cranberries, cilantro and cashews. Cook 30 more minutes - meanwhile cook the rice or couscous. When it is done cooking, stir the yogurt into the chicken. Ladle over a bed of couscous or rice. Enjoy!