This classic roll of chocolate cake is filled with lovely sweetened cream cheese as well as a thin layer of..yes…Nutella!
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bar pan. Line the pan with parchment paper, and grease it as well. Set it aside for now.
In a bowl, sift together 3/4 c all-purpose flour, 1/4 c baking cocoa, 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
In your mixing bowl, beat together 4 eggs and 3/4 c sugar.
Add in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Mix in our dry ingredients until well combined.
Spread the cake batter evenly over the pan. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
When it is done baking, carefully remove the cake and allow it to cool on a rack.
When it is cooled, spread 1/3 cup Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread) evenly over the top of the cake.
In your clean mixing bowl, beat together 6 tablespoons of butter, and 8 ounces of cream cheese (both room temperature) until they are fluffy.
Add in a teaspoon of vanilla.
Mix in 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat this all together until it is smooth.
Put the filling all over the cake in little dollops, and then spread it evenly.
From the end, roll it up. Place it on a platter, cover it with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge 2 hours or over night.
When you are ready to serve it, give it a dusting of powdered sugar.
With a sharp knife, cut the roll into slices.
Place it on a serving platter, and give it another light dusting of powdered sugar if you like.
- ¾ c all-purpose flour
- ¼ c baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- ¾ c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ c Nutella
- 6 Tb butter, room temperature
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c powdered sugar, extra for dusting
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a bar pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper, and grease the paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar. Add in the vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients until well combined. Spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the bar pan. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until it tests done in the center with a toothpick. Carefully remove the cake from the pan and let it cool on a rack.
- When it is cool, evenly spread the Nutella all over the surface of the cake.
- In your clean mixing bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese until it is fluffy. Mix in the vanilla and powdered sugar, and beat it until it is smooth. Put the filling in dollops all over the cake, and then spread it evenly. Roll the cake up from the end and place it on a platter, seam side down. Cover it with plastic wrap and chill it at least 2 hours in the fridge. (Overnight is perfect.)
- The next day, give the roll a light dusting with powdered sugar. Cut the roll into slices with a sharp knife, and line them up on a serving platter. Give the slices another light dusting of powdered sugar if you like.