Ham and corn chowder is a creamy and delicious soup for a cool spring evening.
This time of year many people are baking hams and this Ham and Corn Chowder is a great way to use up some of the leftovers.
To begin, dice a cup of red onion, mince two cloves of garlic and dice 4 slices of bacon into pieces.
In a Dutch oven, saute the bacon and onion with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil until the bacon is golden and the onions are tender.
Toss in the garlic and let it cook for just a minute.
Sprinkle in 1/4 cup of all purpose flour. Stir it all in and cook for a minute.
Pour in 2 cups of milk and 3 cups of chicken broth. Bring this to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Add in 5 diced yellow or red potatoes.
2 cups of diced ham
And 3 1/2 cups of frozen whole kernel corn.
Finally, add in 2 teaspoons of “Herbs de Province,” 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, a bay leaf and 4 ounces of cream cheese.
REduce the heat to medium and let this cook together for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Discard the bay leaf and serve.
- 1 c red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ c all-purpose flour
- 2 c milk
- 3 c chicken broth
- 5 yellow (or red) potatoes, cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 2 c ham, diced
- 3½ c frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 tsp herbs de Province (herb blend)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- To begin, in a Dutch oven, saute the bacon and onion with the extra virgin olive oil until the bacon is golden and the onions are tender.
- Toss in the mined garlic and let it cook for just a minute.
- Sprinkle in the all purpose flour. Stir it all in and cook for a minute.
- Pour in the milk and chicken broth. Bring this to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients.
- Let this cook together on medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Discard the bay leaf and serve.
Today the Sunday Supper team has brought you a number of recipes to help you use up holiday leftovers.
- Bacon and Sriracha Deviled Eggs by Casa de Crews
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Deviled Eggs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Cilantro Deviled Eggs by Our Good Life
- Rissole by Brunch with Joy
- Savory Basque Tart by Food Lust People Love
Breakfast and Brunch
- Breakfast Burritos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Enchiladas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten-Free Ham Spinach & Gruyère Quiche by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Ham and Egg Hash by Whole Food | Real Families
- Matzo Brei Pancakes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Savory Ham and Scallion Corn Cakes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Black Pepper Fried Brown Rice with Ham by Food Done Light
- Cajun Hambalaya by Palatable Pastime
- Cal-Mex Avocado and Egg Salad by eating in instead
- Chunky Healthy Egg Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Ham Fried Rice by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Kimchi Fried Rice by Wallflower Girl
- Pan-Fried Ham with Okra and Red-Eye Gravy by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salmon, Asparagus and Capers Panini by Family Foodie
Soups and Salads
- Ham and Corn Chowder by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Southern Ham Macaroni Salad by Magnolia Days
- Split Pea and Ham Slowcooker Soup by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Apple Blueberry Flip Flop by Recipe for Perfection
- Brownies with Kentucky Bourbon and Chocolate Mint Ganache by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Cadbury Egg Stuffed Croissants by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheese and Pineapple Bread Pudding by Basic N Delicious
- Easter Candy Bark by Pies and Plots
- Easter Candy Brownie Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Brownie No Bake Cheesecake by Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Matzo S’mores by Desserts Required
- Sunshine Cake by The Ninja Baker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.