Today I am sharing with you, Jerked Chicken Chili.
This chili is full of flavor, but is quick enough to make on a busy weeknight.
To begin, dice up a yellow bell pepper, and a medium sized onion.
Measure out 3 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and a half teaspoon of allspice. Set it aside.
Cut up 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces. Sprinkle them with some salt & pepper.
In a Dutch oven, heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the pepper and onion. Cook them about 2 minutes, or until they are tender.
Toss in the chicken, and cook it about 2 minutes, until the chicken is mostly white on the outside. Then stir in the spices.
Add in a 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes, and a 14 ounce can of tomato sauce.
Next, toss in a 14 ounce can of rinsed and drained black beans and a 14 ounce can of rinsed and drained mixed (pinto/kidney) beans.
Pour in a cup and a half of chicken broth. Then toss in some sliced, pickled jalapeno peppers…1 to 2 tablespoons.
And finally, toss in a tablespoon of dry cilantro. If you have fresh, use about a quarter cup.
Stir this all together, put a lid on, and let it simmer together over medium low heat for about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Now for the last ingredient….turn off the heat, and stir in 2 tablespoons of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Trust me.
Stir them in until melted.
Serve the chili, topped with some sour cream, grated cheese, or whatever you enjoy. I sided mine with some super-simple Skillet Cheddar Biscuits….which I will share with you this week!
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 3 Tb Chili powder
- 1½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 ounce can mixed beans (kidney/pinto), rinsed & drained
- 1½ c chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoons sliced, pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 T dry cilantro (or ¼ c fresh, chopped)
- 2 tb semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Suggested toppings: Sour Cream, grated cheese, sliced scallions, etc.
- To begin, dice up the yellow bell pepper and onion. Set aside.
- Measure out the spices, and set them aside.
- Cut up the boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces.
- Sprinkle them with some salt & pepper.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the pepper and onion. Cook them about 2 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Toss in the chicken, and cook it about 2 minutes, until the chicken is mostly white on the outside. Then stir in the spices.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and chicken broth.
- Toss in some sliced, pickled jalapeno peppers…1 to 2 tablespoons.
- And finally, toss in a tablespoon of dry cilantro. If you have fresh, use about a quarter cup.
- Stir this all together, put a lid on, and let it simmer together over medium low heat for about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now for the last ingredient….turn off the heat, and stir in 2 tablespoons of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Trust me.
- Stir them in until melted.
- Serve the chili, topped with some sour cream, grated cheese, or whatever you enjoy. I sided mine with some super-simple Skillet Cheddar Biscuits.
Back-to-School season is a crazy time of year. I know in my own homeschooling home, regular things get disrupted, and everything goes haywire until the new routine sinks in. Here’s some quick recipes to make your school nights effortless:
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Pasta with creamy kale pesto by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Garlicky Pasta with Swiss Chard and Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle