A big bowl of kielbasa split pea soup is the perfect way to end a busy day.
To begin, you’ll need a pound of kielbasa. Split it down the center, then slice into 1/3 inch or so slices. You will also need to dice a medium onion.
Toss the kielbasa and onion in a skillet with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Cook these together over medium heat.
Meanwhile, dice 2 carrots and 2 stalks of celery.
When the onions are tender and kielbasa has a little color, toss in 2 cloves of minced garlic and cook for one more minute. Place the contents of the skillet into your crockpot.
Add in the carrots and celery. Pour in 4 cups of chicken broth and one cup of water.
Add in a cup of dry split peas.
Cut two large russet potatoes into 1 inch pieces. You can peel them if you like, but I leave the skin on for the extra fiber.
Add the potatoes to the crockpot and stir these all together.
Add in a half teaspoon each of salt, pepper, thyme and oregano, and one bay leaf.
Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- 1 lb kielbasa
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 c chicken broth
- 1 c water
- 1 c dry split peas
- 2 large russet potatoes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- To begin, you’ll need a pound of kielbasa. Split it down the center, then slice into ⅓ inch or so slices. Toss the kielbasa and diced onion in a skillet with the extra virgin olive oil. Cook these together over medium heat. Meanwhile, dice the carrots and celery. When the onions are tender and kielbasa has a little color, toss in the minced garlic and cook for one more minute. Place the contents of the skillet into your crockpot. Add in the carrots and celery. Pour in the chicken broth, water, and dry split peas. Cut the russet potatoes into 1 inch pieces. You can peel them if you like, but I leave the skin on for the extra fiber. Add the potatoes to the crockpot and stir these all together. Add in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Need more crockpot inspiration? Check out all of these awesome crockpot recipes from the Sunday Supper team!
- Crockpot Kielbasa Split Pea Soup from The Foodie Army Wife
- Amazing Slow Cooker French Onion Soup from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crock Pot Turkey Meatball Soup from Flour On My Face
- Kale & Kielbasa Soup Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Spinach and White Bean Soup from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Spicy Ham and 10-Bean Soup from Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Caramelized Pork Noodle Soup from Brunch with Joy
- Slow Cooker Acorn Squash and Apple Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Three Bean, Butternut, and Quinoa Vegetarian Chili from Ruffles & Truffles
- Potato, Kielbasa and Spinach Soup With Gouda from Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Tortilla Soup #GlutenFree from Sue’ s Nutrition Buzz
Scrumptious Mains (Breakfast and Dinner)
- Slow Cooked Apple Pie Oatmeal from Life Tastes Good
- Pork and Cabbage Stew from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from Peaceful Cooking
- Slow-Cooked Country Pork and Veggies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders from Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef from Marlene Baird
- Madras Beef Curry with Vegetables from Curious Cuisiniere
- Crock Pot Pork Chops with Apples and Figs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Sesame Chicken from Casa de Crews
- Pork Chops in Gravy with Potatoes from Cookin’ Mimi
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Slow Cooker Spicy Peach Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Artichokes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Scalloped Potatoes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions from The Dinner-Mom
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Chocolate Cake from MealDIva
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow-Cooker Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding) from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Lemon Poppy Seed Cake from NinjaBaking
- Slow Cooker Sourdough from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slowcooker Seedy Bread from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Sips and Spreads
- Spiced Caramel Cider from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.