Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup is a great way to balance out the highly rich foods of the holiday season.
Today the Sunday Supper team is sharing way to lighten up the holidays. With Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s and more just around the corner, I think we will need all the help we can get to balance out some of our eating choices. Take every opportunity to “lighten up” where you can, so that you can indulge on the goodies of the holidays.
I took my favorite cheeseburger soup and cut out as much fat as possible, for a leaner, meaner version – with much less guilt.
To begin, heat a tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Sauté a pound of ground chicken, a diced onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic until the onion is tender and the chicken is opaque.
While those are cooking, give three carrots a half inch dice.
Wash a pound of golden potatoes and trim off any eyes. Cut the potatoes into half inch pieces. Leave the skin on for extra fiber, unless you are just vehemently opposed to potato skins. In that case, peel the potatoes before dicing.
Pour 3 cups of vegetable broth into the Dutch oven.
Stir in the potatoes and carrots. Add 2 tablespoons of classic yellow mustard, 3 tablespoons of ketchup, a teaspoon each of black pepper and chipotle chili powder, and a half teaspoon of salt. Bring these to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are just fork tender.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk together. Cook for just a minute over medium heat.
Pour in a cup and a half of skim milk.
Sprinkle in 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric.
Bring this to a gentle boil, stirring continually. Let it boil for one minute and turn off the heat.
Sprinkle 3 ounces of shredded sharp (or extra sharp) cheddar cheese, and melt it into the sauce. Pour the cheese sauce into the Dutch oven and stir it into the cooked soup.
Serve with a little extra shredded cheese sprinkled on top.
- 1 Tb coconut oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots
- 1 lb gold potatoes
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 2 Tb classic yellow mustard
- 3 Tb ketchup
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 Tb flour
- 1½ c skim (low fat) milk
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- 3 ounces sharp (or extra sharp) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Extra shredded cheese for topping
- To begin, heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Sauté the ground chicken, diced onion and minced garlic until the onion is tender and the chicken is opaque.
- While those are cooking, give the carrots a half inch dice. Wash the golden potatoes and trim off any eyes. Cut the potatoes into half inch pieces. Leave the skin on for extra fiber, unless you are just vehemently opposed to potato skins. In that case, peel the potatoes before dicing.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the Dutch oven. Stir in the potatoes and carrots along with the yellow mustard, ketchup, black pepper, chipotle chili powder, and salt. Bring these to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are just fork tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauce pan. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk together. Cook for just a minute over medium heat. Pour in the skim milk and sprinkle in the turmeric. Bring this to a gentle boil, stirring continually. Let it boil for one minute and turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle in the shredded sharp (or extra sharp) cheddar cheese, and melt it into the sauce. Pour the cheese sauce into the Dutch oven and stir it into the cooked soup.
- Serve with a little extra shredded cheese sprinkled on top.
Join the rest of the Sunday Supper team as the lighten up your holiday season!
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.