Snowball Cookies are the perfect Christmas cookie. I mean just look at them! Don’t they just scream “snowball fights and ice skating” to you?
We all have our favorite holiday music, movies or TV specials, and today the Sunday Supper team is sharing recipes inspired by our favorites!
The very first movie that pops into my head is “White Christmas” and one of the signature songs, “Snow.”
I’ve always loved Bing Crosby movies, and our family watches this one every sing year. My daughter’s homeschool chorus in North Carolina even performed the “”Sisters” song from it.
But when I think of this grand movie, the only food references that I could remember were liverwurst sandwiches and buttermilk. Umm….no. But with the prevalence of snow references all through the movie, the first thing I thought of to make was Snowball Cookies, so that’s what I’ve brought you today!
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
You’ll need to very finely chop 3/4 of a cup of pecans. Set those aside.
In a bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cup of flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Set that aside for the moment.
In your mixing bowl, beat together 2 sticks (1 cup) of room temperature butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 cup of sifted powdered sugar. Beat them until nice and fluffy.
Add in your flour mixture. and mix until just combined.
Stir in your pecans.
The dough for these cookies is a rather dry dough. You will form these into little balls, just larger than an inch in diameter. I use my small cookie scoop and gently press the dough together, smoothing the tops. These cookies rise very little, so you only need to leave about an inch and a half between them. I’ll prepare about 20 at a time on a standard cookie sheet. Bake these for 15 minutes until just barely golden on the edges.
Remove them to a cooling rack and cool completely.
When the cookies are cooled, roll them around in some powdered sugar to coat them.
Repeat the process with all of the dough.
- ¾ c very finley chopped pecans
- 2¼ c flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- ½ c powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- extra powdered sugar for coating
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, sift together your flour and salt. Set aside. In your mixing bowl, beat together the butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add in the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the pecans. Form the dough into 1 inch balls with a cookie scoop, pressing them smooth with your finers. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet about an inch and a half apart. Bake for 15 minutes or until just barely golden on the edges. Cool on a baking rack. Roll in powdered sugar to coat. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
Thank you to Tammi from “Momma’s Meals” for hosting this event!
Party Appetizers & Snacks:
- Oven-Roasted Applesauce Scented with Rosemary & Vanilla inspired by the song “Christmas in the Trenches” – Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Chestnuts inspired by the movie “The Christmas Song” – Food Lust People Love
- A Popcorn Trio inspired by the song “Let it Snow” – Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Chai Tea Abominable Snow Buddies inspired by the movie “Rudolph” – Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raisin Bran Muffins for a Crowd inspired by the movie “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” – In The Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Icicle Candy and Reindeer Snacks inspired by the movie ”Snow” – Treats & Trinkets
- A Christmas Carol Plum Pudding inspired by the movie “A Christmas Carol” – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Yukon Mashed Potato Cakes inspired by the movie “Rudolph” – Cookin’ Mimi
- Christmas Pudding inspired by the song “Over the River and Through the Woods” – A Kitchen Hoor
- Pumpkin Pudding inspired by the movie “Nightmare Before Christmas” – Basic N Delicious
- Elf-Inspired Christmas “Grams” inspired by the movie “Elf” – MarocMama
- Sugarplums inspired by the movie “The Nutcracker” – Happy Baking Days
- Chai Spiced Roasted Nuts inspired by the song “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire” – Take A Bite Out of Boca
Festive Main Dishes
- Maple Syrup Spaghetti inspired by the movie “Elf” – Momma’s Meals
- Who Hash inspired by the movie “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” – girlichef
- Ginger Orange Glazed Cornish Hens inspired by the song “The 12 Days of Christmas” – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- NY Hot Dog with Sabrett-style Onion Sauce inspired by the movie “Die Hard” – Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Classic Caesar Salad inspired by the movie “The Santa Clause” – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Individuals Meatloaves & Horseradish Mashed Potatoes for Mommy’s Little Piggies inspired by the movie “A Christmas Story” – The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Christmas Waffles inspired by the TV special “A Claymation Christmas Celebration” – Curious Cuisiniere
- Filthy Animal Pizza inspired by the movie “Home Alone” – Foxes Love Lemons
- Chicken Orzo Soup inspired by the song “12 Days of Christmas” – Family Foodie
- Brandied Candied Sweet Potatoes inspired by the song “Christmas Is The Time To Say ‘I Love You’” – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweet Holiday Treats:
- Gin and Tonic Cupcakes inspired by Adam Sandler’s “The Chanukah Song” – The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bars inspired by the movie “Love Actually” – Magnolia Days
- Gingerbread Marshmallows inspired by the song “Marshmallow World” – Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies inspired by the movie “The Gremlins” – Killer Bunnies, Inc
- White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge inspired by the song “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” – Alida’s Kitchen
- Snowball Cookies inspired by the movie “White Christmas” – The Foodie Army Wife
- Penuche Fudge inspired by the movie “Elf” – Pies and Plots
- Hot Chocolate Cookies inspired by the movie “Santa Clause” – Mess Makes Food
- South Pacific Coconut Tres Leche Cake inspired by the movie “South Pacific” – The Ninja Baker
- Cookies & Cream Fudge inspired by the movie “Elf” – The Messy Baker
- Toasted Coconut Hot Chocolate inspired by the song “Let It Snow” – Chocolate Moosey
- The Christmas Gram inspired by the movie “Elf” – An Appealing Plan
- Eggnog Hot Chocolate inspired by the movie “National Lampoons Christmas Vacation” – Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Vermont Hot Chocolate inspired by the movie “White Christmas” – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Spiked Hot Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Floats inspired by the song “Holly Jolly Christmas” – NeighborFood
This is Christmas; Wine Pairings for Holiday Themed #SundaySupper Recipes – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.
~ Isa 9:6