A simple supper that is effortless to toss together in the morning and takes just minutes to finish up at supper time for a bowlful of satisfying flavor.
To begin, place 1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken in your crockpot. You can use breasts or thighs – whichever you have on hand.
Dice an onion and green bell pepper and toss them in onto the chicken.
Sprinkle in a half teaspoon of smoked paprika.
A teaspoon of ground cumin.
A teaspoon of salt.
And a teaspoon of Ancho chile powder.
Over the top, pour in a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies and a can of diced tomatoes with lime & cilantro. If you can’t find the tomatoes with lime and cilantro, just use two cans of the other.
Spread those over the top of the chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
When you come home, your house is going to be smelling ahhhh-mazing.
Grab two forks and simply pull the chicken apart to shred it.
Add in a can of black beans that have been rinsed and drained, as well as 4 cups of cooked rice. Use white or brown rice, whichever you prefer.
Stir those in and cover again. Let this cook together for a few minutes – until the rice and beans are heated through. Go pet the dog, check homework or set the table in the meantime.
Serve topped with some shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey-Jack, etc.) and some guacamole or sour cream.
- 1½ pound boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thighs)
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with lime & cilantro
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or Monterey Jack, Colby, etc.)
- 1 cup guacamole or sour cream
- To begin, place your chicken in your crockpot. Dice your onion and bell pepper and sprinkle them over the chicken. Sprinkle in the seasonings and salt. Spread the canned seasoned tomatoes over the top of it all. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Grab two forks and pull the chicken apart into pieces. Rinse and drain the black beans. Add the black beans and cooked rice to the crockpot. Stir it all together and let it cook a few more minutes or until the beans and rice are heated through.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese and guacamole or sour cream.
Need more Weekday Supper inspiration? Visit these great websites for the following recipes on their corresponding days!
- Monday – Pasta with Spicy Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tuesday – Apple Butter Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wednesday – Crockpot Spicy Chicken & Rice by The Foodie Army Wife
- Thursday – Smoky Pumpkin Fettuccini Alfredo by The Messy Baker
- Friday – Grilled Swordfish with Garlic Soy Marinade by Cooking Chat