This is my all-time favorite strawberry shortcake recipe. It is a little unusual, in that the shortcake has a crumbly topping.
To begin, a couple hours before you plan on having the dessert, prepare your strawberries.
Wash them up, then remove the tops.
Slice them up, and place them in a bowl.
When you have them all sliced, pour over about 1/3 – 1/2 cup of sugar. I usually use about 1/3 c for a pint of strawberries. Give them a stir to coat them.
Now put them in the fridge, and let them sit. Over the next couple hours, they will develop their own sauce. Stir once in a while.
For the shortcake:
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9×9 cake pan. Set it aside.
In a bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour, and 1 cup sugar.
Cut in 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter with a pastry blender until it is crumbly.
Scoop out about 1/2 cup of the mixture and set aside.
Now, to the bowl, add 2 teaspoons baking powder.
Measure out 3/4 cup of milk, and stir in a teaspoon of vanilla.
Pour the milk mixture into the bowl, and stir to combine.
Spread the mixture into a buttered 9×9 (or comparable size) baking pan.
And sprinkle the reserved mixture over the top.
Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow it to cool.
To serve, cut out a square of the cake, add some whipped cream or ice cream, and top with the lovely strawberries.
- 1 pint strawberries
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c + ⅓ c sugar (divided)
- ½ c cold butter
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ c milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Ice cream or whipped cream for topping
- Clean and slice strawberries, placing them in a bowl. Sprinkle ⅓ c sugar over the strawberries and stir to coat. Allow these to chill at least 2 hours, stirring once in a while.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9×9 baking dish and set it aside.
- In a bowl, combine remaining sugar and flour. Cut in butter. with a pastry blender until it is a crumbly mixture. Set aside ½ cup of this. Stir in the baking powder.
- Combine milk and vanilla together, and then mix it unto the dry ingredients.
- Spread the batter into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the reserved topping over the batter. Bake 30-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, and top with the strawberries.
Check out what the rest of the #SundaySupper contributors have shared for your dinner with your sweetheart this week.
Breakfasts, Appetizers & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni’s Food
- Individual Beef “Phyll-ingtons” from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Banana Cream from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita’s Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from Ruffles & Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear’s Wife
A Romantic Table For Two Please from An Appealing Plan
Join the #SundaySupper discussion on Twitter on Sunday, February 10th to talk all about Valentine’s eats and treats! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 3:00 AKST/7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos!