Classic and every delicious German Potato Salad.
To begin, wash and cut about 3 lb of potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Peel them if you like, I prefer to leave the skin on the yellow potatoes.
Drop them in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover them by and inch or so, along with a teaspoon or so of salt. Bring them to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until they are just fork tender.
Meanwhile, finely dice or mince about a cup of red onion.
Set that aside and dice up 7 or 8 slices of bacon. Toss them in a skillet and cook it until it is golden and crispy.
When it is cooked, using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Let the bacon set there for now.
Add the diced onion to the bacon drippings and cook it over medium low heat until the onion is tender.
When the potatoes are just fork-tender, drain the liquid out and place them in a large bowl.
When the onions are tender, stir in 1/2 cup vegetable broth, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar, and some salt & pepper. Let it simmer together for just a minute.
Toss the bacon in with the potatoes and then pour the liquid and onions over all of it.
Fold everything together and then sprinkle in 2 teaspoons of dried parsley or some minced chives. Allow it to cool a few minutes and serve the salad warm or room temperature.
- 3 lb potatoes (preferably yellow or red)
- 7-8 slices bacon
- 1 c finely diced onion
- ½ c vegetable broth
- ⅓ c apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tsp dried parsley or minced chives
- To begin, wash and cut the potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Place them in a large pot with enough water to cover them by an inch or so, add in a teaspoon of salt. Bring the potatoes to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer - cooking the potatoes until they are just fork tender.
- Meanwhile dice the bacon and sauté it in a skillet until golden and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towel and toss the onion into the skillet with the bacon drippings. Sauté the onions in the drippings until they are tender. Add the salt, pepper broth, sugar and vinegar to the skillet and let it all simmer on low for a minute or 2.
- Drain the potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Toss in the bacon, and add the contents from the skillet. Fold it all together with the dried parsley or chives. Allow to cool a bit. Serve warm or room temperature.
Looking for recipes for your summer barbecues? Here’s a collection of recipes to meet your every need:
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni’s Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin’ Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner’s Tales
- More S’mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler:
- Prickly Pear Margaritas by Ruffles & Truffles