Filled with tons of flavor and a bit of heat, this Zippy Kielbasa & Rice will warm and fill you up on a cold, winter day.
You’ll love the simplicity of this one-pot, skillet meal. No need to dirty lots of dishes to make it. The rice cooks right in the skillet with the rest of the ingredients.
This dish does have a little heat to it, so if you have littles, you may want to omit the ancho chile powder.
- 1 lb beef kielbasa, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies (mild)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c frozen whole kernel corn
- 2½ c chicken broth (extra if needed)
- 1 c long grain rice, uncooked
- shredded cheese for topping
- To begin, cook the sliced sausage, onion and butter together in a large skillet over medium heat until the sausages are slightly golden and the onions are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add in the chili powder, ancho chile powder, black pepper and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the tomato sauce, green chilies, black beans, corn, chicken broth and rice. Stir to combine.
- Bring this to a gentle boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Monitor this as it cooks and add a little extra chicken broth if the mixture begins to get too dry before the rice is cooked through.