The perfect snack cake for your family – Zucchini Carrot Snack Cake.
This week the Sunday Supper team is being joined by American Family Insurance to share with your family favorite recipes. Recipes that we have overhauled to make healthier than the original versions we love.
I think most parents have issues getting their kids to eat veggies. So finding creative ways to sneak them in becomes an art form. One of the tricks I used when my kids were little, was to add finely shredded carrots to their peanut butter sandwiches. They had NO IDEA there were veggies in there!
My family has always enjoyed snack cakes and other little goodies. Well, this variation is packed full of zucchini, carrots and golden raisins. So they might think they’re just eating cake, but they are eating their veggies too! I’ve made additional changes to this cake as well to up the “healthy-factor;” substituting whole wheat for some of the plain flour, some of the oil with applesauce, and some of the sugar with honey. Topped with a thin layer of barely sweet frosting, this snack cake is a pleasure…and not a guilty one!
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9×13 cake pan, and set aside.
In a bowl, combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour, a half cup of whole wheat flour, a teaspoon of baking powder, half teaspoon each of ground ginger and cinnamon, and a quarter teaspoon of sea salt. Stir those together and set aside.
Trim the ends off of your washed zucchini.
Do the same with a few carrots.
Shred these with a grater or your food processor. You will need a cup of shredded zucchini and a cup and a half of shredded carrot. Set those aside for the time being.
In your mixing bowl, combine 2 eggs, ¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, ¼ cup of honey, ¼ cup of plain applesauce and a teaspoon of vanilla. Beat those together until smooth.
Add in your flour mixture and beat until smooth.
Fold in the zucchini and carrots, along with a half cup of golden raisins and a half cup of chopped walnuts.
Spread the batter into your cake pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the cake tests done in the center with a toothpick.
Cool the cake completely in the pan.
For the frosting, beat 8 ounces of Mascarpone cheese
a cup of powdered sugar
and a half teaspoon of vanilla until smooth.
Mix in a tablespoon or two of milk to make it a smooth, spreading consistency.
Spread the frosting across the top of the cake.
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1½ c shredded carrot
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup plain applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 8 ounces Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 - 2 Tb milk
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 cake pan, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, and sea salt. Stir those together and set aside. Trim the ends off of your washed zucchini. Do the same with a few carrots. Shred these with a grater or your food processor. You will need a cup of shredded zucchini and a cup and a half of shredded carrot. Set those aside for the time being.
- In your mixing bowl, combine the eggs, brown sugar, extra virgin olive oil, honey, plain applesauce and honey. Beat those together until smooth. Add in your flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the zucchini and carrots, along with the golden raisins and walnuts. Spread the batter into your cake pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the cake tests done in the center with a toothpick.
- Cool the cake completely in the pan.
- For the frosting, beat the Mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Mix in a tablespoon or two of milk to make it a smooth, spreading consistency. Spread the frosting across the top of the cake.
American Family Insurance is the champion of dreams. Connecting with others through Twitter, Facebook and more to not just inspire, but to encourage the pursuit of dreams.
Connect with American Family Insurance to get tools and tips, inspiration and encouragement as you #ChooseDreams. Share your stories and join the community of dreamers.
Join American Family Insurance for more great recipes on their #ChooseDreams Pinterest board. You can also connect with them via their Website, Linkedin, Youtube, Google+, Twitter, Facebook and their Pinterest Account.
Join the Sunday Supper team as they share their “healthified” versions of their family favorite recipes.
- by Ruffles & Truffles
- by Curious Cuisiniere
- by Country Girl in the Village
- by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- by The Dinner-Mom
- by Family Foodie
Grilled Portabella Mushrooms On Red Pepper Slaw with Cucumber Dressing
- by Seduction In The Kitchen
- by Run DMT
- by Alida’s Kitchen
- by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- by The Messy Baker
- by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- by girlichef
- by Neighborfood
- by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- by Savvy Eats
- by The Weekend Gourmet
- by Magnolia Days
- by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.