Mr. Smith did his first meal in the Instant Pot. As is his modus operandi…he just wings it in the kitchen.
Now this is certainly not something that I usually do. Normally I plan a recipe, prepare it, meticulously photograph it…taking around 100 pictures just to get the right one for a recipe post here on Cosmopolitan Cornbread.
Now, you have to understand something about his cooking.
He’ll stand there in front of the pantry or the spice cabinet, and will randomly grab things and toss them in the pot. He doesn’t know how it will taste and just goes for it. Though I think I have broken him of putting maple syrup in everything. Problem is that half the time he never remembers what it was he put in the meal.
This time around, I did ask him right away what was in there, so I have a handle on it.
He went to the store to get a roast…came home with a roast and spicy cajun sausages. One meat’s good? Two meats are better!
As a result, the meal was pretty darn good! Several of you who saw it in the last episode and were wondering about it.
So here it is!
Note: Now in truth, I have found that sausages in the Instant Pot tend to get very soft. So be aware of that going in if you make this.
- 1 sirloin tip beef roast
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ lb Cajun sausage - cut into 3 or 4 inch pieces
- 8 carrots - split down the center and cut in half
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes - washed any eyes or rough spots removed and then cut into quarters
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp McCormick Smokehouse Maple seasoning
- ½ c beef broth
- To begin, turn the instant pot to "Saute" and let it heat up.
- Add in the extra virgin olive oil, and sear the roast on both sides. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add in the sausages, carrots, potatoes and bay leaves.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper and seasoning over the top.
- Pour in the broth.
- Close your Instant Pot and set the controls to "Manual" and the time to 90 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to run the full cycle, including the depressurizing/cooling period.
SHOP THIS POST
- McCormick Smokehouse Maple Seasoning
- Instant Pot