Ham & Cheese Calzones are a simple way to put some of that holiday ham to great use. The calzones are delicious and portable! I make variations of these for occasions where we need “food to go” like our ice fishing trip this past January.
To begin, you’ll need pizza dough for one large pizza. You can use whatever kind you like.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Dice about 2 cups of cooked ham.
Roll out a sixth of your pizza dough into a disk that is about 8 inches.
Top with a third of a cup of ham and about a quarter cup of shredded cheese. You can use Swiss, cheddar or any other that you like. **You can also try adding some diced broccoli in here.
Fold the dough over, leaving about 1/2 inch of the bottom layer sticking out. Fold the bottom up and over the top edge and press them together to seal. Repeat with the rest, making 6 calzones.
Beat an egg with a tablespoon of water until frothy. Brush the tops of the calzones with the egg wash.
With a knife or kitchen shears, cut a little slit in the top of each.
Sprinkle a little extra cheese on top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until nice and golden.
- For the Pizza Dough
- 1 c lukewarm water
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- For the Calzones
- 2 cups diced, cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Swiss, etc)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tb water
- diced broccoli, optional
- In a mixing bowl with a dough hook, combine the water and yeast, and let it sit until the yeast softens and begins to bubble - about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the olive oil and a cup of the flour.
- Turn your mixer on, and add in the salt.
- Add the remaining flour in a half cup at a time, until it comes together into a soft dough.
- Take it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 3 minutes or until it is smooth.
- Place the dough ball in an oiled bowl, and roll the ball around in the bowl to coat it.
- Set it in a warm place to rise, covered, for an hour.
- To begin, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Divide your dough into 6 portions. Roll a portion out into an 8 inch disk.
- Place ⅓ cup of ham, and ¼ c shredded cheese, and some diced broccoli (optional) in the center of the disk.
- Fold one side over, leaving ½ inch of the bottom edge of dough sticking out.
- Fold the bottom layer up and over the top edge, and press together to seal. Repeat with the remaining portions of dough, making 6 calzones.
- Beat the egg and water together until frothy. Brush the tops of the calzones with the egg wash. Sprinkle a little extra cheese on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. ~ Col. 3:15