Ham and Potato Gratin is a cheesy dish that is served up from your crockpot.
As a kid, I grew up eating scalloped potatoes and ham. This is a similar dish, but the cheese gives it just a bit more flavor!
I originally shared this recipe over at Hip Homeschool Moms.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 lb red or golden potatoes
- 1¼ c cooked ham, diced or julienned
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 Tb flour
- ¾ c vegetable broth
- ¾ c milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp parsley
- 4 ounces sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded - divided
- sliced scallions for serving - optional
- To begin, dice a small onion.
- Wash and trim the potatoes. You can peel them if you like, but I just trim off any eyes or rough patches and leave the peels on. Thinly slice them up.
- Lightly spray your crockpot with non-stick cooking spray, then layer in ⅓ of your potatoes and ⅓ of the diced onion. Layer in ⅓ of the ham. Repeat these layers – potato, onion & ham, until you have three layers of each.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- When it is melted, whisk in the flour and let it cook and bubble for just a minute.
- Pour in the milk and vegetable broth. Whisk them together.
- Add in the salt, pepper, and parsley. Stirring continually, bring this up to a gentle boil and let it boil for one minute then turn off the heat. The sauce will thicken nicely.
- Add ⅔ of the shredded cheese to the creamy mixture and stir until it is melted.
- Pour the cheesy goodness all over the top of the contents in your crockpot.
- Top with the remaining cheese. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve topped with some sliced scallions.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 394 Total Fat 13g Saturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 49mg Sodium 742mg Carbohydrates 54g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 5g Sugar 4g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 18g