Ham and Potato Gratin is a cheesy dish that is served up from your crockpot.
As a kid, I grew up eating scalloped potatoes and ham. This is a similar dish, but the cheese gives it just a bit more flavor!
I originally shared this recipe over at Hip Homeschool Moms.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 lb red or golden potatoes
- 1¼ c cooked ham, diced or julienned
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 Tb flour
- ¾ c vegetable broth
- ¾ c milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp parsley
- 4 ounces sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded - divided
- sliced scallions for serving - optional
- To begin, dice a small onion.
- Wash and trim the potatoes. You can peel them if you like, but I just trim off any eyes or rough patches and leave the peels on. Thinly slice them up.
- Lightly spray your crockpot with non-stick cooking spray, then layer in ⅓ of your potatoes and ⅓ of the diced onion. Layer in ⅓ of the ham. Repeat these layers – potato, onion & ham, until you have three layers of each.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- When it is melted, whisk in the flour and let it cook and bubble for just a minute.
- Pour in the milk and vegetable broth. Whisk them together.
- Add in the salt, pepper, and parsley. Stirring continually, bring this up to a gentle boil and let it boil for one minute then turn off the heat. The sauce will thicken nicely.
- Add ⅔ of the shredded cheese to the creamy mixture and stir until it is melted.
- Pour the cheesy goodness all over the top of the contents in your crockpot.
- Top with the remaining cheese. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve topped with some sliced scallions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 742mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.