Seasoned Pork Chops baked with an Apple Compote.
Your taste buds will fall in love with all of the flavors in this paleo-friendly comfort food.
After you season and brown the pork chops, you’ll mix up a simple compote of bacon, apple and onion. I mean can you get any more comforting that the combination of those flavors, really? You will absolutely love this dish, and so will your entire family.
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- dash cayenne pepper
- 6 center loin pork chops
- 2 Tb coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 whole Granny Smith apples , cored and diced
- 6 slices thick cut, uncured bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tsp thyme
- To begin, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combined the smoked paprika, regular paprika, black pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle the seasoning on each side of the pork chops, the rub the seasoning into the meat a bit with your fingers.
- In a large oven-safe (cast iron preferred) skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium high heat.
- Working in batches, brown the pork chops on each side. This should take a bout 3 minutes per side. As the pork chops are browned, place them in a dish and cover tightly with foil to keep them warm.
- Place the apple, onion and bacon in the skillet with the drippings. Give them a stir and sprinkle with the thyme. Pop the whole skillet into the oven for 20 minutes to bake. Stir the mixture half way through the baking time.
- Arrange the pork chops on top of the apple compote mixture.
- Place the skillet back into the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the pork chops are cooked through. Test with a meat thermometer. Depending upon how done you like your chops, they should read between 145 and 160 degrees.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 315mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 42g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.