To begin, pat dry, and salt & pepper a top loin or boneless sirloin pork roast. Heat a tablespoon of oil in an oven-safe Dutch oven over medium high heat. Set the roast in the oil and let it pop and sizzle for about 8 minutes.
Turn it over and let it do the same on the other side.
Carefully move the roast to a platter, and deglaze your pot with a half cup or so of dry white wine.
Stir it around to get the brown bits loose.
Turn off the heat.
Half or quarter 2 pounds or so of red or golden potatoes. You can peel them if you want – but why? Just wash and cut off any eyes.
Place the roast back in the Dutch oven, and nestle the potatoes all around it.
Now top this all with a jar of good sour kraut.
Over the top of the sour kraut, sprinkle a tablespoon of caraway seeds.
Put the lid on, and bake this in your oven for 4 hours at 325 degrees.
Place the contents of the Dutch oven on a platter – sour kraut will be everywhere – just do your best.
We had this with some zucchini corn fritters – and of course some good German Dusseldorf mustard for the pork. Enjoy!
- 1 top loin or boneless sirloin pork roast
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tb oil
- 1/2 c dry white wine
- 2 lb red or golden potatoes
- 28 oz German sour kraut, undrained
- 1 Tb caraway seeds
- To begin, pat dry the pork roast with paper towels. Salt and pepper both sides. Heat the oil in an oven-safe Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Place the roast in the pot and let it pop and sizzle for about 8 minutes. Carefully turn it over and repeat on the other side.
- Turn off the heat and carefully place the roast on a plate or platter. Pour the wine into the Dutch oven, and stir around to deglaze the pot and loosen the brown bits.
- Wash and trim then halve or quarter the potatoes. Place the roast back in the Dutch oven, and nestle the potatoes all around. Spread the sour kraut and its liquid all over the top of the contents. Sprinkle the caraway sees over the top of the kraut.
- Bake covered for 4 hours at 325 degrees.
- Carefully move the contents to a platter, separating the items as best you can. Serve with good German (Dusseldorf) mustard.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 724mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.