How to make Homemade Roasted Spiced Nuts.
These roasted nuts become nicely crunchy when baked. The spiced coating that goes on the outside caramelizes in the oven. Look out, these are addictive!
These are not only a wonderful snack, but they make a great holiday gift as well.
I can’t even tell you how many times I have made these candied nuts. I think I first made them when we lived in Germany. That was a long, long time ago.
Since then I make them every year, and often make multiple batches.
Put them in a pretty jar and tie a ribbon around it, and have a great holiday gift that won’t turn into clutter later.
- 2 Tb cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 2/3 c sugar
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 7 c nuts, Use a combination of pecans, cashews, walnuts and peanuts – whatever kind you like
- 1 c raisins
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tsp water
- To begin, preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Line two large baking sheets with silpats. If you do not have silpats, line them with parchment paper, and give them a light coat of cooking spray. Set them aside. In a bowl, combine the sugar, salt & spices. Set them aside.
- Place your nuts and raisins in a large bowl. Mix them all together. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites and water together until the whites form stiff peaks, but aren’t dry looking.
- Fold the whites into the nuts, coating them thoroughly with the egg wash. Pour in your sugar-spice mixture and stir it all together, until everything is evenly coated and happy. Spread the mixture out onto the baking sheets, try to get the nuts in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, and then stir the nuts around. Repeat.
- After the nuts have baked for a total of 30 minutes, line your table or counter with parchment paper.
- Pour the hot nuts out onto the paper, and let them cool completely. As they cool, stir them around once in a while. The stirring keeps the nuts separated, and from becoming huge clumps.
- Once the goodies are completely cooled, store in air-tight jars. They must be completely cooled or they will stick together.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 317 Total Fat 21g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 17g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 212mg Carbohydrates 28g Fiber 3g Sugar 19g Protein 9g
This post was updated Jan 2019 with better photos and video.