Delicious Pork Chops smothered in a creamy gravy with caramelized onions. You’ll love these Smothered Pork Chops!
These wonderful pork chops start off by getting a rub of cajun seasoning.
Then they are dredged in seasoned flour and browned in butter & oil in your skillet.
Next comes gorgeous caramelized onions.
And then the gravy!
These smothered pork chops are over the top when served on a bed of mashed potatoes. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
- 6 boneless pork chops (I used butterflied loin chops)
- 6 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 2 Tb extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tb butter, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 c half & half
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- To begin, rub a teaspoon of cajun seasoning onto each pork chop.
- In a shallow dish, combine 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour with 1 tsp black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir those together.
- In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon each of extra virgin olive oil and butter over medium high heat.
- Dredge the seasoned pork chops in the flour, shaking loose any excess flour. After you have dredged all of the pork chops, do not discard the flour yet.
- Brown the pork chops in the hot skillet. There is no need to cook these all the way through, you only need to brown both sides. Work in batches, and as you brown the pork chops, place them on a platter and cover with foil to keep them warm.
- When all of the pork chops are browned, add the renaming butter and oil to the same skillet.
- Add in the sliced red onion and saute over medium-low heat until the onions are golden and tender.
- Sprinkle the onions with 3 tablespoons of the reserved dredging flour. Stir the flour into the onions and cook for just a minute over medium heat.
- Add in the half & half, chicken broth, thyme, and remaining salt & pepper. Stir these together and cook over medium heat until the gravy thickens and comes to a gentle boil.
- Reduce the heat down to low, and nestle your pork chops down in the gravy. Cover and cook until the pork chops are cooked through, about 8 minutes.
These smothered pork chops are amazing when served on a bed of mashed potatoes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 568Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 1871mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 42g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.