Soppressata Puffs are the perfect heavy appetizer for your next get together.
The best thing about these, is they only look fancy, but are incredibly easy to make.
A slathering Dijon mustard, delicately flavorful Soppressata and then Swiss cheese all baked together inside a gorgeous crust of puffed pastry.
Just look at this gorgeous thing!
Simply cut it into squares and serve to your expectant guests.
- 1 package frozen puffed pastry dough, thawed (2 sheets)
- 12 3.5 inch slices Soppressata (or hard salami if you can't find it)
- 5 slices Swiss cheese (or 4 oz. shredded Swiss cheese)
- 2 Tb Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 Tb water
- To begin, place a sheet of the pastry dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Spread the mustard all over the pastry dough, stopping and inch or so from the edge.
- Layer the Soppressata in three rows, overlapping across the dough, again leaving an inch of space at the edge.
- Top with the Swiss cheese slices (or shredded cheese.)
- Beat the egg and water together in a small bowl. Brush the egg wash on the inch of exposed edge of the dough around the sides.
- Place the second sheet of dough over the top. Gently press the edges together with your fingers.
- Slide the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper, and onto a baking sheet. Stick in in your fridge and chill for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Take the chilled puff from the fridge. With a sharp knife, cut 3 slits in the center of the dough, and a diagonal.
- Brush the top with additional egg wash, making certain it doesn't pool in the slits. Otherwise it will seal the "vents" shut.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into squares with a pizza cutter. I normally cut it into 9 or 16 squares, depending upon how many I want to make. Smaller squares will be more finger food friendly.
Check out all of the rest of these fantastically fancy appetizers.
- BLT Crostini Sliders with Avocado Aioli by Casa de Crews
- Easy Caprese Puff Pastry Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- French Onion Palmiers by Cooking With Carlee
- Ham and Mustard Spirals by Food Lust People Love
- Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Middle Eastern Deviled Eggs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mushroom and Blue Cheese Gougeres by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Simple Greek Pinwheels with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Baba Ganoush by The Crumby Cupcake
- Baked Fruit and Nut Camembert by Sunday Supper Movement
- Caesar Salad Wonton Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cucumber Bites with Creole Shrimp and Guacamole by Life Tastes Good
- Dates with Goat Cheese, Prosciutto and Truffle Honey by Monica’s Table
- Drunken Asparagus with Feta and Prosciutto by Wholistic Woman
- Japanese Meatballs by Ninja Baker
- Loaded Hasselback Potatoes Mini Size by Crazed Mom
- Pork Dumplings by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lime Shrimp Cups by Our Good Life
- Mini Crab Cakes by My Savory Spoon
- Oysters Rockefeller by Caroline’s Cooking
- Scallop Crudo with Citrus by Cricket’s Confections
- Shrimp Martini by Palatable Pastime
- Southwestern Shrimp Spring Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Loaded Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips by Desserts Required
- Mini S’mores Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cheesecake Bars by Pies and Plots
- Wine Gummy Bears by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Fries with Basil Dipping Sauce by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Blue Cheese Asparagus Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Broccoli Pesto Potato Bites by Simple and Savory
- Mushroom Purses by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Roasted Carrot Soup by From the Bookshelf