Zucchini Corn Fritters have a wonderful crunch on the outside, and all the goodness of fresh zucchini on the inside.
Today I am sharing one of my favorite veggie recipes. The weather is warming and I look forward to all of the fresh summer produce. If you garden, you know how you can often find yourself with an over-abundance of zucchini. This is a great way to put it to use.
To begin, shred a pound of zucchini into a bowl. You can peel it first if you like – maybe you are trying to sneak veggies to your kiddos?
Add in 2 teaspoons of lemon zest.
Add in 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons of parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper.
Grate in a clove of garlic.
Add in 2/3 of a cup of fresh or frozen corn kernels. Beat 2 eggs together and pour them into the bowl. Stir it all together.
Now add in a cup of flour, and stir it all together, to coat everything.
Now to fry them. Frying isn’t something I do very often, but when I do I prefer to use a lighter oil that olive oil. I’ll normally use vegetable or corn oil for this.
Heat about 1/4 cup of oil in a heavy skillet. You’ll want enough to put a thin layer all over the bottom. Then you want the oil to be shimmering, but not smoking.
Scoop the fritter batter into the skillet by about 1/3-1/2 cups. I use a muffin scoop to do this.
Let the fritters cook until they are golden on the bottom, and then turn them over to cook the other side.
When they are nice and brown, place them on a platter that is lined with paper towels,, and repeat with the rest of the batter. I set the platter in the oven (set to “warm”) so they stay warm while I cook the rest.
Serve the fritters topped with some sour cream, or spritzed with lemon juice.
- 1 lb Zucchini
- 2 tsp fresh Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tb Parsley
- 1 cloves Garlic, grated
- ½ tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
- ⅔ c Whole Kernel Corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 eggs
- 1 c Flour
- Oil for frying
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges (optional)
- Sour Cream, for topping (optional)
- To begin, shred up the zucchini, and toss it in a mixing bowl. Add in the fresh Lemon Zest, salt, pepper, parsley and garlic. Add in the fresh or frozen whole kernel Corn. In another small bowl, whisk 2 eggs well. Pour in the whisked eggs, and stir this all together, so that everything is coated with the egg.
- Sprinkle the flour all over the mixture, and then stir it all in. Mix until there are no lumps of flour.
- In a skillet, heat about a quarter cup or so of oil over medium heat. You want the bottom of the skillet to have a thin layer of oil. When the skillet is ready, but not smoking, scoop the mixture by ¼ cups at a time into the oil, creating little "piles." Allow it to sit there and cook for 2-3 minutes, until it is golden under there.
- Turn it over, and cook on the other side until golden, around 2-3 minutes again. Place the cooked fritters on a platter lined with paper towels, and repeat with the remaining batter. Keep the fritters that are already cooked warm by setting your platter in a warm (not hot) oven while the others cook.
- Serve them with some lemon wedges or sour cream (optional) and Enjoy!