This German apple dessert, Rauhreif, is lightly sweet and elegant in its simplicity.
Its name, Rauhreif means “first frost” and it is very fitting in its timing today. You see, we received our first frosts of the year this week. I nearly lost my garden, but thankfully Jack Frost didn’t come in swinging the first night, and I was able to get the garden covered for the second night.
This dessert only takes a few minutes to make, and the only preparations you need to make are to chill the bowl & beater ahead of time.
You will love this.
- ⅓ c orange juice
- 2 Tb lemon juice
- 6 Tb sugar, divided
- 6 apples (eating apples, such as honey crisps, red delicious, etc.)
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- To begin, chill your mixing bowl and wire beater in the fridge or freezer.
- Combine the orange juice, lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of the sugar in a large bowl. Stir it together and set it aside for now.
- Core and peel an apple. Shred the apple with a food processor or grater. Immediately place the shredded apple in the juice mixture and stir it together with a rubber spatula. Repeat with the remaining apples. Set this aside for a moment.
- In your chilled mixing bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Sprinkle in the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar and the vanilla extract.
- Beat the cream until it thickens to where cream is firm enough to hold stiff, unwavering peaks when the beater is lifted from the bowl.
- Add the apple mixture to the whipped cream, and fold it in with a rubber spatula.
- Serve immediately in individual dessert dishes.
As you know, my favorite holiday (Thanksgiving!!!) is just around the corner. Today we have a collection of desserts for you to choose from this year. Make something a little different this Thanksgiving.
Bars and Cookies
- Frosted Sugar Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Shortbread Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- The Best Pecan Pie Bars by Life Tastes Good
- Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Clementine Cake with Cranberry Glaze by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coconut Pecan Cake with Coconut Rum Frosting by The Chef Next Door
- Coconut Syrup Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Japanese Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker.com
- Moms Texas Sheet Cake by My Life Cookbook
- Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Rave Review Coconut Cake by Family Around The Table
- Salted Caramel Mocha Bundt Cake by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spiked Chocolate Eggnog Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
- Raspberry Cheesecake by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cheesecake by Baking Sense
- Pumpkin Patch Cocktail by Wholistic Woman
- Black Bottom Oatmeal Pie by This is How I Cook
- Butterscotch Pecan Pie by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Perfect Plum Pie from Art of the Pie by Sunday Supper Movement
- Pumpkin Spice Mochi by Cricket’s Confections
- Purple Yam-Ube Blueberry Tart by Asian in America
- Swedish Apple Pie Cups with Date Caramel Sauce by Simple and Savory
Puddings and Creams
- Arroz Con Leche with Coconut and Cheese by Basic N Delicious
- Cranberry Apple Croissant Bread Pudding by The Freshman Cook