This beautiful herbed roasted chicken with garlic and lemon will have your family running to the kitchen table. It takes minutes to prepare and pop into your oven.
To begin, preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Pat a roasting chicken dry with paper towels and place it in a roasting pan.
In a small dish, combine 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with a teaspoon of thyme leaves, parsley and crushed rosemary leaves, 1/2 teaspoon each of rubbed sage, black pepper and sea salt. Give these a stir.
Spread this mixture all over the chicken.
Now, cut a fresh lemon in half and crush 6 whole cloves of garlic. No need to peel them first.
Stick the garlic and lemon inside the chicken.
Tuck the tips of the wings underneath, and it is ready for the oven. Bake this for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until it tests done with a meat thermometer. Monitor the chicken to make sure it doesn’t get too brown. If it is, simply cover with the lid of the roasting pan, or with a tent of foil, and continue baking until it is done.
Let this gorgeous bird rest for 15 minutes before you cut it up to serve.
This recipe was also shared in Southern Plate’s Meal Plan Monday.
- 1 whole chicken (gizzards and such removed and discarded)
- 2 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp crushed rosemary
- ½ tsp rubbed sage
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 whole lemon
- 6 cloves garlic
- To begin, preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Pat a roasting chicken dry with paper towels and place it in a roasting pan.
- In a small dish, combine 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with a teaspoon of thyme leaves, parsley and crushed rosemary leaves, ½ teaspoon each of rubbed sage, black pepper and sea salt. Give these a stir.
- Spread this mixture all over the chicken.
- Now, cut a fresh lemon in half and crush 6 whole cloves of garlic. No need to peel them first.
- Stick the garlic and lemon inside the chicken.
- Tuck the tips of the wings underneath, and it is ready for the oven. Bake this for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until it tests done with a meat thermometer. Monitor the chicken to make sure it doesn't get too brown. If it is, simply cover with the lid of the roasting pan, or with a tent of foil, and continue baking until it is done.
- Let this gorgeous bird rest for 15 minutes before you cut it up to serve.
This week, in preparation of Mothers Day, we’re sharing some of our Moms’ favorite recipes. While the recipe that I shared wasn’t my mother’s roast chicken, my mom did always make a great roasted chicken when I was growing up. So I shared the above recipe in her honor. The following are all of the recipes from our Sunday Supper team, in honor of their moms. Check them out and make something yummy!
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day plus Mom’s Favorite from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.