With a delicate crust and lemony filling, these bars are a lovely summer treat.
I first started making these bars when we lived in Germany. In the summer time, these are the perfect treat. Imagine taking a tall, cold glass of fresh lemonade, and magically turning it into a bar, and this is what you get.
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In your mixing bowl mix together 3/4 cup butter that is room temperature, 2/3 cup powdered sugar, and 1 1/2 cup flour.
Mix it together until it becomes a smooth dough.
Press the dough into the bottom of a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Bake that for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat together 3 eggs.
Mix in 1 1/2 cup sugar.
Take a lemon and zest about 2/3 of it into the bowl.
Juice the lemon into a measuring cup, through a sieve. You’ll need 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Normally one good lemon will do this, but if your lemons are small, you may need 2 of them.
Pour the juice into the bowl.
Whisk it together, and then whisk in 3 tablespoons of flour. Beat these together until the liquid is frothy.
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 2/3 c powdered sugar
- 3/4 c butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1-2 lemons
- 3 Tb flour
- extra powdered sugar for dusting
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, powdered sugar and flour. Mix until it comes together as a smooth dough. Press the dough into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the sugar. Zest about 2/3 of a lemon into the bowl. Juice the lemon into a measuring cup, through a sieve. You will need 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice. If your lemon is small, you may need 2 lemons, but one normally does the trick. Add the juice to the bowl. Whisk it together and then whisk in the flour.
- Beat this until it is smooth and frothy. Pour the filling over the top of the hot crust.
- Pop it back in the oven for 20-25 more minutes or until the top is just barley golden. Dust the top liberally with powdered sugar. Allow this to cool to room temperature and then chill it for an hour in the fridge. Cut into bars with a sharp knife, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 46mg Sodium: 66mg Carbohydrates: 34g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 25g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g