Store bought frozen hash brown potatoes combined with eggs, cheese and a handful of ingredients make for a fantastic breakfast that you can prepare ahead of time and bake in the morning.
When you have chickens like we do here on the homestead, you do at times find yourself with an excess of eggs available. This recipe is a great way to put some of them to use. We often have this recipe for supper, even though it is a traditionally breakfast sort of dish.
It all begins with some store bought frozen hash browns, combined with sausage and onion.
Top it all with some shredded cheese – I used a blend of cheddars here.
Then of course several eggs and some milk.
Finally, it is baked together to delicious perfection.
- 1 package, 30 ounces frozen hash browns (diced or shredded)
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 6 eggs
- 2 c milk
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the hash browns according to package directions, with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. When they are cooked, place them into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a skillet, cook the sausage and onion together, breaking up the sausage as it cooks with your spatula or wooden spoon. Cook until the sausage is cooked through and no longer pink, and the onion is tender. Scoop the cooked sausage and onion into the baking dish with the hash browns. Stir them together, then sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top and set it aside for a moment.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs and milk with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 35 - 40 minutes or until the eggs are set in the center.
Try this with your favorite salsa as a great option.
You May Also Like:
- Bacon & Egg Strata
- Classic Deviled Eggs (& Egg Salad Sandwiches)
- Amish Ham Salad
- Veggie Omelette Cups
- Ham & Cheese Stratas
- Delaware Chicken Salad