Learning to make your own breakfast sausage is easy. And once you do, the potential for variations is endless.
Homemade breakfast sausage is very simply ground meat that is well-seasoned. Most of the time that ground meat is pork, because when making sausage you want a little bit of fat in it.
You can make sausage from ground turkey or chicken as well, but again, there isn’t a lot of fat in those meats. If you do decide to try turkey or chicken sausage, I find they are best when used in other recipes. Things like sausage gravy or sausage dressing/stuffing.
Turkey or chicken sausage cooked by itself, may get a little dry. I’m not saying don’t do it, or that it will for certain. Just be warned that it may be a possibility.
Here on the farm, we have not yet raised our own feeder pigs, so I go to a local farm that specializes in pastured meats. They have a farm store and I can get all the beef, chicken or pork I could want.
What I love about this farm, is that it is family-owned by a young couple with their three little girls. They involve the whole family in what they do and are bringing up another generation involved with the agrarian life.
Making Your Own Sausage
Making your own sausage opens up all sorts of possibilities. If you don’t like fennel, you can omit it. If you like your sausage hotter or milder, you can adjust the heat. You can even change the herbs used to experiment with other flavors. Be adventurous!
I prefer to make my sausage with fresh herbs from my garden. However, if you don’t have access to all of the fresh herbs out there, you can use dried herbs as well.
When using dried herbs, you want to cut the quantity to about 1/3 of what it calls for in fresh herbs. Drying removes all of the moisture from the leaves, and of course shrinks the herbs in size.
To make Homemade Breakfast Sausage, you will need:
- ground pork
- fresh minced parsley
- fresh minced sage
- whole grain (country style) Dijon mustard
- fresh thyme leaves
- fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- fennel seeds
- red pepper flakes
- ground white pepper
- Ceylon cinnamon
- mixing bowl
Use this breakfast sausage for some Sausage Gravy and biscuits!
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card! I would love to hear your thoughts!
How to Make Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 c shredded apple
- 2 Tb fresh minced parsley
- 1 Tb fresh minced sage
- 1 Tb whole grain mustard, country style Dijon
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or grated for stronger garlic flavor)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ceylon cinnamon, not typical baking cinnamon
- Place the ground pork in a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle all of the remaining ingredients all over it.
- Using your hands, work it all together until it is just combined. Over-working ground meats can make them tough.
- Use the sausage as you wish.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.