Mmmmm! Cheesecake in a pastry. It is very simple and very delicious, and the variations you can do with this are endless.
First off, you will need 2 boxes of Puff Pastry dough – 4 sheets total. Thaw them out, and store them in the fridge.
When you are ready to begin, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, start with 2 blocks (16 oz) of room temperature Cream Cheese.
To that add 1 cup Sugar.
Beat those together until soft & fluffy.
In a bowl, whisk together 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Whisk them until they are bubbly.
Pour these into the cream cheese mixture, and then mix very well until smooth. Be sure and scrape the bowl with a spatula a couple times.
Next, zest about half of a Lemon into the mixture…about 1 Tablespoon.
Then squeeze in about 1 teaspoon of the Lemon Juice
Fold those in.
Now line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay out one sheet of the Pastry Dough. Spread half of the cream cheese mixture onto the pastry dough, leaving about 3/4 inch border around the edge.
Lay a second sheet of dough over the top, and then press the edges together.
Combine 1/4 cup Sugar and 1 teaspoon Cinnamon. Set aside for a moment.
Melt 2 Tablespoons butter.
Brush the top of the pastry with half of the butter.
And sprinkle the top with half of the cinnamon sugar.
Cut a 2 inch slit in the center with a sharp knife.
Pop it in your oven for 20 minutes.
While it is baking, repeat the assembly of the second pastry with the remaining half of the ingredients. Stick it in your fridge while the other one finishes baking, then bake the second one.
Isn’t this beautiful!?
Allow it to come to room temperature, then cut into servings. This makes two of these pastries. One of them was for us, and the second one went to work with my husband this morning.
Now for some of the many, many variations…
When assembling the pastry, try putting a layer of Strawberry jelly, Pineapple Jelly, Lemon Curd or any other fruity spread before spreading the cream cheese mixture. Mmmm!
I’m dangerous sometimes.
Another variation – bake as above, but serve warm with some Apple slices that have been sautéed in butter and cinnamon, and a topping of whipped cream.
This “base” treat is only limited by your own imagination.
- 4 sheets Puff Pastry dough - thawed but chilled
- 16 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 c Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tb Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tb butter, melted
- ¼ c Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and cup of sugar until well combined and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and vanilla until bubbly. Pour this into the cream cheese mixture and then beat it together until it is smooth.
- Fold in the lemon zest and juice. Set aside.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, lay out 1 sheet of the pastry dough.
- Spread ½ of the cream cheese filling over the top, leaving about ¾ inch border around the edge.
- Lay a second sheet over the top, and press the dges together.
- Combine the remaining sugar and the cinnamon.
- Brush the pastry with half of the melted butter, and then sprinkle it with half of the cinnamon-sugar.
- Cut a 2 inch slit in the center with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 20 mintutes and cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- Assemble the second pastry while the first is baking, and let it chill until the other one is finished. Bake as before.
- Be sure to try one of the many variations.