When it comes to brownies, there seem to be two camps. The fudgy or chewy brownie camp, and the cake-like brownie camp.
I am of the chewy camp, and these are my favorite brownies.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking pan, and set it aside.
In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup Baking Cocoa.
1 1/2 cup Flour
and 1 1/4 tsp Salt.
Give it a stir, and set it aside.
In a small saucepan, place 1/2 cup (1 stick) of Butter.
To that, you will add 1/4 cup Shortening.
Melt them over low heat. Once they are melted, remove them from the heat so it can cool slightly.
In a mixing bowl…put 3 Eggs.
Add 2 cups Sugar
and 1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
Beat these together and add the butter mixture.
Now, add in the dry ingredients, about half at a time.
Be sure to scrape the bowl and get everything combined.
To the batter, you are going to add 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped Nuts…however much you like, and whatever kind you like. I prefer Pecans.
Spread the thick chocolaty goodness into your baking dish.
Spread it even, and then bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- ¾ c baking cocoa
- 1 ½ c all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c butter, unsalted
- ¼ c shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 c sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans, more if you like
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x13 inch baking pan, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cocoa, flour and salt. Stir, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and shortening over low heat. When melted, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In mixing bowl, beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix in butter mixture. Add dry mixture about a half at a time, mixing well. Be sure to scrape bowl. Stir in nuts.
- Spread evenly into baking dish. Bake 25 - 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.
6 thoughts on “Chewy Brownies”
So good! I reduced the sugar by 1/2c, think I'll even try reducing by a whole cup when I make these again.
I just came across this recipe via Pinterest and decided to give it a try. They came out great! I used a 9 inch round cake pan because I couldn't find my 9 x 13 lol only thing I changed was the salt I used less. And added mini chocolate chips instead of the nuts. Great brownies thank you!
I'm making these as a reward for my grade 8 class! They look delightful! Thanks for posting such a great recipe!
Can I use all butter and omit the shortening?
I've never made them that way, but you could do it and give them a try!
This is interesting recipe. When I make brownies usually the batter is pretty thing and pourable not spreadable. I am thinking to try your recipe..