Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole is a fun and yummy recipe for the family – let the kids crush the tortilla chips, they’ll get a kick out of that!
The first time I made it for my family, my boys looked at me with looks on their faces like, “You’re making what?” The looks on their faces were very different once they tried it and with surprise in their voices, announced their hearty approval of the dish. Don’t you love it when you get a reaction like that?
- ½ c diced onion
- ½ c diced green bell pepper
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 2 Tb all-purpose flour
- ½ c chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp ground roasted coriander
- ½ tsp ancho chile powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- ⅓ c Neufchatel (reduced fat) cream cheese
- 1 can (14 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cooked, diced chicken - divided
- 4 ounces tortilla chips, crushed - divided
- 1 can or jar (12 ounces) green chile enchilada sauce
- 3 ounces cheese, shredded (Cheddar, Colby-jack, Monterrey-jack, pepper jack, or whatever you like.)
- Optional: sour cream & sliced green onions for serving
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, sauté the onion and pepper with the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until it is tender.
- When it is tender, add in the grated garlic. Cook that for just a minute. Sprinkle in the all-purpose flour. Stir it into the mixture.
- Pour in the chicken broth and milk. Cook this on medium heat until it begins to bubble and thickens. Stir continually.
- Add in the ground roasted coriander, ancho chile powder, black pepper, and cumin. Stir these all together. (I do not add salt to this recipe because you will be using salty tortilla chips.)
- Add in the cream cheese. Stir it around until it is melted. Turn off the heat.
- Spread a half cup of the creamy mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 or so baking dish.
- Layer in the black beans. Over those, layer on 1½ cup of the diced, cooked chicken.
- Next, layer on 2 ounces (a couple big handfuls) of tortilla chips that you have crushed in your hands.
- Over this, drizzle half of the creamy mixture. Repeat the layers of chicken, another 2 ounces of crushed tortilla chips, and your remaining creamy sauce.
- Drizzle the enchilada sauce (green chile sauce) all over the top.
- Top this with the shredded cheese. I used sharp cheddar, but you can also use Colby-jack, Monterrey-jack, pepper jack, or whatever you like.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let it rest for a couple minutes before serving.
- Serve with some sour cream and top it with sliced green onions if you like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 580mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 27g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.