Simple and delicious French bread, fresh from your oven.
This recipe for French bread can’t get much easier. It only takes 4 ingredients plus some oil to brush on for baking.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, you start with 3 1/2 cups bread flour, a teaspoon of salt,
and 2 1/2 teaspoons of instant yeast. Give those a quick stir.
Pour in 1 1/4 cup luke warm water.
Turn on your mixer and mix with the dough hook attachment. Let it run for 14 minutes, then turn it off. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let the dough rise for 20 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and form two long loaves. Place them on a greased stone, baking sheet or french loaf pan.
Now, I can’t say enough about this French Bread Pan. If you have a kitchen supply nearby, and you have any intention of regularly baking long breads like this, it is a must have. I ordered mine online for a very good price. They are not expensive, but are priceless for making French bread. They sell a “triple” pan for baguettes too.
If you don’t have one, just use a baking sheet.
Let the bread loaves rise in a warm location, covered with a towel, for about an hour until doubled in size.
Looking like bread!
Gently brush the loaves with a little extra virgin olive oil. Bake in a preheated oven (450 degrees) for 16-18 minutes or until they are golden.
- 3 1/2 cups white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 1/4 c warm water
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the dry ingredients and give them a quick stir. Pour in the warm water, and mix with a dough hook. Let it run for 14 minutes, then turn it off. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let the dough rise for 20 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and form two long loaves. Place them on a greased stone, baking sheet or french loaf pan. Cover with a light cloth and allow to rise until double, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Just before baking, lightly brush bread with the oil.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the loaves on a rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 118mg Carbohydrates: 18g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g