How to make French Bread at home.
Simple and delicious French bread, fresh from your oven.
This recipe for French bread can’t get much easier. It only takes 4 ingredients plus some oil to brush on for baking.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, you start with 3 1/2 cups bread flour, a teaspoon of salt,
and 2 1/2 teaspoons of instant yeast. Give those a quick stir.
Pour in 1 1/4 cup luke warm water.
Turn on your mixer and mix with the dough hook attachment. Let it run for 14 minutes, then turn it off. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let the dough rise for 20 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and form two long loaves. Place them on a greased stone, baking sheet or french loaf pan.
Now, I can’t say enough about this French Bread Pan. If you have a kitchen supply nearby, and you have any intention of regularly baking long breads like this, it is a must have. I ordered mine online for a very good price. They are not expensive, but are priceless for making French bread. They sell a “triple” pan for baguettes too.
If you don’t have one, just use a baking sheet.
Let the bread loaves rise in a warm location, covered with a towel, for about an hour until doubled in size.
Looking like bread!
Gently brush the loaves with a little extra virgin olive oil. Bake in a preheated oven (450 degrees) for 16-18 minutes or until they are golden.
- 3 1/2 cups white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 1/4 c warm water
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the dry ingredients and give them a quick stir. Pour in the warm water, and mix with a dough hook. Let it run for 14 minutes, then turn it off. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let the dough rise for 20 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and form two long loaves. Place them on a greased stone, baking sheet or french loaf pan. Cover with a light cloth and allow to rise until double, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Just before baking, lightly brush bread with the oil.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the loaves on a rack.
Nutrition InformationYield 20 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 94 Total Fat 1g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 118mg Carbohydrates 18g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 0g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 3g