Enjoy the refreshing flavors of citrus with two of my favorite scones. The recipes for these two scones are identical, except for the fruit used.
How to make Lemon (or Orange) Cream Scones
To begin, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
IN a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of flour with a tablespoon of baking powder.
Along with 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1/8 of a teaspoon of sea salt.
Stir these together, then slice up 6 tablespoons of cold butter.
Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumby, and there are no bits of butter larger than a pea.
Depending on whether it is lemon or orange scones you are making, add in about a tablespoon of zest from the orange or lemon. Stir it in.
In a measuring cup, measure out 1 cup of cold half & half, and add to that a tablespoon of vanilla.
Stir them together and then stir them into the dry mixture. Stir it until it is just combined.
Turn it out onto a floured surface, and pat it into a square, about 8 inches on a side.
Cut the dough into 9 squares.
And cut each square diagonally.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they just get the tiniest bit golden on top.
When they are almost done baking, prepare the glaze. In a bowl, sift 1 cup of powdered sugar. Add in a tablespoon of vanilla.
And juice the orange or lemon into the bowl through a metal sieve.
Whisk until smooth.
Then add in another teaspoon or so of zest. Stir it in.
When the scones are done baking, place them on a rack over some foil or parchment paper. Immediately brush the glaze over the tops.
Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- For the Scones
- 2 cups + 2 Tb flour
- 1 Tb baking powder
- 3 Tb sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 6½ Tb cold butter, divided
- 1 orange or 2 lemons
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- For the Glaze
- the orange or lemons
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 Tb vanilla
- To begin, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir it together.
- Slice up 6 Tb of cold butter. Drop it into the flour mixture. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter, until there are no butter bits larger than a pea.
- Now with a fine grater, add in a tablespoon of zest from the orange or lemon. Stir it in to the flour mixture.
- Measure out the cold "half & half." Add in the vanilla and stir it together.
- Pour it into the bowl, and stir until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and pat it into a square, about ¾ inch thick and 8 inches on a side. With a knife, cut the square into 9 squares, like a tic-tac-toe board. Cut each of those squares in half diagonally. Place them on a baking sheet/stone.
- Take remaining ½ Tablespoon of butter, and cut it into little bits. Place on bit on the top of each scone.
- Bake the scones for 10 - 12 minutes, or until they are just starting to get a golden color.
- To glaze them, put the sifted powdered sugar in a bowl. Add in a teaspoon of zest. Juice the orange or lemons through a small sieve into a dish. Add the vanilla and 2 Tb of juice to the powdered sugar.
- Whisk smooth, add more juice as needed, until you have it the right consistency. Brush it all over the top of all the scones.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g