I’ve seen these cute little bite-sized appetizers all over the internet for years. They really are an effortless appetizer to make and fun for both the little kids and the grown-up ones.
Does anyone really not like pizza? I mean honestly.
Now my youngest child….if it wasn’t for the fact that he was the spitting image of his father, I would think someone had switched him at birth. Over there in Germany would be another kid (young man) walking around who never knew we were his blood relatives.
Why? First of all, the boy doesn’t care for coffee. COFFEE!!!!
I demand a DNA test.
Secondly, he isn’t a huge fan of pizza. He said it is only good in the morning, cold for breakfast. Sigh. I wonder about him.
Well, that said, MOST people (normal people) love pizza, and will adore this little treat as well. You can make these little goodies as an appetizer for a get-together or even treat the kids when they get home from school in the afternoon. Either way, make them for the pizza lover in your world.
- 24 slices uncured pepperoni, Look for the larger pepperoni rounds
- 24 pieces fresh mozzarella "pearls", These are the little, bite-sized pieces of fresh mozzarella. If you can't find them, just substitute some shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c pizza sauce
- 24 olive slices, black or green - your choice
- To begin, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a pair of kitchen shears or the point of a sharp knife, cut 6-8 snips into the edges of a slice of pepperoni. (See the diagram in the recipe notes.)
- Press the pepperoni slice into the cup of a mini muffin pan. The cuts will allow the sides to overlap and stay in the cup.
- Repeat this process with all of the pepperoni slices.
- Bake the pepperoni cups for about 4 or 5 minutes or until the edges of the pepperoni begin to crisp up. Remove the pan from the oven.
- If your pepperoni is greasy, carefully remove the cups to a paper towel lined plate. Wipe the grease out of the cups of the muffin pan, then replace the pepperoni cups.
- Place a mozzarella "pearl" in each cup.
- Spoon in about a teaspoon or so of your favorite pizza sauce into each cup.
- Top each cup with an olive slice.
- Bake these for about 3 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Here's a diagram of the snips to make in each slice of pepperoni. Make 6-8 of them all the way around, but keep the center uncut to hold the filling.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 301 Total Fat 22g Saturated Fat 12g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 70mg Sodium 762mg Carbohydrates 5g Fiber 1g Sugar 2g Protein 20g