Apple Pie Oatmeal is a great way to start your day in a heart-healthy way!
There’s really no excuse to start you day without a healthy breakfast when something like this lovely oatmeal is so easy to prepare. Oats are full of fiber and their cholesterol-lowering properties are so good for your heart. Make this tomorrow!
To begin, simply dice 2/3 of a cup of fresh apple. Combine the diced apple with a cup of rolled oats and 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg and allspice. Stir them together and bring them to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the oatmeal is soft and thickened. Remove it from the heat and let it rest for about 2 minutes.
Spoon the oatmeal into your bowl and drizzle in a little bit of local raw honey or a spoonful of brown sugar.
- ⅔ c diced apple
- 1 c rolled oats
- 2 c water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp - 1 Tb raw local honey or brown sugar, to taste
- Combine everything but the honey (or brown sugar) in a small saucepan.
- Bring it to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until it is soft and thickened.
- Remove it from the heat and let it rest for 2 minutes.
- Spoon into serving bowls and drizzle with a little honey or brown sugar to taste.
Show your beloved how much you care, by taking care of them with these heart-healthy recipes:
Better for you breakfasts:
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa by Have Fun Saving
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch