Apple Pie Oatmeal is a great way to start your day in a heart-healthy way!
There’s really no excuse to start you day without a healthy breakfast when something like this lovely oatmeal is so easy to prepare. Oats are full of fiber and their cholesterol-lowering properties are so good for your heart. Make this tomorrow!
To begin, simply dice 2/3 of a cup of fresh apple. Combine the diced apple with a cup of rolled oats and 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg and allspice. Stir them together and bring them to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the oatmeal is soft and thickened. Remove it from the heat and let it rest for about 2 minutes.
Spoon the oatmeal into your bowl and drizzle in a little bit of local raw honey or a spoonful of brown sugar.
- 2/3 c diced apple
- 1 c rolled oats
- 2 c water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp - 1 Tb raw local honey or brown sugar, to taste
- Combine everything but the honey (or brown sugar) in a small saucepan.
- Bring it to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until it is soft and thickened.
- Remove it from the heat and let it rest for 2 minutes.
- Spoon into serving bowls and drizzle with a little honey or brown sugar to taste.