You’ll find no guilt in the ingredients of these whole wheat apple walnut muffins!
- 1 c flour
- 1 1/2 c whole heat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1/3 c coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 Tb unsalted butter
- 3 Tb sugar
- 1 c buttermilk (or 1 c milk + 2 tsp lemon juice)
- 1/2 c walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 c diced apple (unpeeled)
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with papers, and set it aside for now.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon and the nutmeg. Stir those together and set aside for the time being.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil and egg. Beat these together with the wire whisk attachment of your mixer, for one minute.
- Add in the vanilla and brown sugar. Beat these all together on high speed until the mixture is fluffy and the coconut oil is incorporated as much as possible – about 2 minutes.
- While those are mixing, combine the butter, sugar and remaining half teaspoon of cinnamon in a small skillet or saucepan. Heat these over medium low heat until melted together and bubbling. Let it bubble for about a minute and turn off the heat.
- Now that your creamed mixture is done, time to add in half of your dry ingredients. Mix those until just combined, then you will need your buttermilk. NOTE: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, combine 1 cup of milk with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Stir those together and let them sit for about 30 seconds – tadaa! Buttermilk substitute!
- Mix in half of the buttermilk, then the final half of the dry mixture, followed by the last of the buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
- Fold the chopped walnuts and apple bits into the muffin batter.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan, dividing the batter as evenly as possible.
- Now for your bubbly goodness. Spoon a little of the sugary mixture on top of each muffin.
- You’ll put about 3/4 of a teaspoon or so. Again, just divide it as evenly as possible among the muffins.
- Bake the muffins for 14-16 minutes, or until they test done in the center with a toothpick.
- Serve your muffins warm or room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 5g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.
God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea.