Inspired by Chipotle restaurants, you can enjoy Barbacoa Tacos made right in your Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker. I’ve also included slow cooker instructions if you prefer to go that route.
- 2 Tb coconut oil
- 2 lb beef chuck roast, extra fat trimmed off
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 c beef broth
- 1/3 c apple cider vinegar, I use Bragg's
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 Tb cumin
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, remove seeds and chop the peppers
- 1 Tb adobo sauce, from the can of peppers
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 8 oz. diced green chiles
- 1 Tb chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- paleo tortillas/wraps
- Chipotle Lime Mayo (Primal Foods brand)
- lime wedges
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- To begin, salt and pepper the roast on both sides with 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
- Place the coconut oil in your Instant Pot and press the "saute" button
- When the oil is nice and hot, place the roast inside the cooker and let it sit for 5 minutes, unmoved to sear the meat. Carefully turn it over and sear the other side for 5 minutes as well. Press "cancel" on the Instant Pot.
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, bay leaves, beef broth, ACV, sliced onion, cumin, chopped chipotle peppers and the adobo sauce. Pour this all over the top of the meat.
- Close your Instant Pot and press the "manual" button. Then adjust the time to 90 minutes. Let it run the full 90 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cycle is nearly finished, combine the tomato sauce, green chiles, chili powder, cinnamon, cloves and remaining 1/2 teaspoon each of sea salt & black pepper. Set it aside for a moment.
- When the cooking cycle is finished, carefully release the pressure and open the lid. Using two forks, shred the meat.
- Pour in the sauce mixture and stir it all together
- Press the "saute" button and place the lid on the Instant Pot just enough to allow heat and steam to escape, but not let anything splatter about. Let this cook for 25-30 minutes, giving the liquid time to cook down and condense a bit.
- Serve the beef on paleo tortillas, topped with the avocado/guacamole and mayo, with a squeeze of lime and garnish with the cilantro.
To prepare this in your slow cooker, sear the salt & peppered roast in the oil in a Dutch oven, on both sides as described.
Place the roast in your slow cooker and top with the first set of ingredients. Cook for 6-8 hours, or until the roast can be easily shredded with a fork.
Carefully transfer the contents of your slow cooker to a Dutch oven, and add the final sauce ingredients. Cook this on your stove over medium heat, with a lid slightly ajar for 25-30 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half.
Serve as described.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 377 Total Fat 23g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 11g Cholesterol 95mg Sodium 940mg Carbohydrates 14g Fiber 3g Sugar 6g Protein 31g