Baked potatoes stuffed with delicious taco meat and sautéed peppers. You’ll love this fun and easy supper recipe.
You can also make this recipe with baked sweet potatoes as opposed to russets. Either version is pretty darned amazing if you ask me.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
Store bought taco seasoning contains all sorts of questionable ingredients. To control what you are putting in your food, mix up your own taco seasoning. It’s simple to make and a great addition for many recipes.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card! I would love to hear your thoughts!
- 4 russet baking potatoes, washed & scrubbed clean, dry with a paper towel
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tb coconut oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, sliced into strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, sliced into strips
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef or bison
- 1 Tb taco seasoning , (see link below)
- 1/4 c water
- sliced scallions
- avocado wedges or guacamole
- hot sauce, optional
- unsalted, organic butter, optional
- lime wedges
- To begin, heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Rub the outside of the potatoes skins with a little oil. The one tablespoon should be enough for all of the potatoes you are baking. Once they are oiled, puncture the potatoes several times with a fork, then place them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven. Bake the potatoes for 45-60 minutes or until they are cooked through. To test, stab one with a knife. If the knife goes in easily, they are done.
- While the potatoes are baking, heat the coconut oil in a small skillet. Toss in the sliced peppers and saute them over low heat until they are tender and have a little color.
- In another skillet, saute the ground beef, onion and garlic together, breaking the meat up into smaller pieces as it cooks. Cook them over medium low heat until the meat is browned and cooked through and the onions are tender.
- When the meat is cooked, sprinkle in the taco seasoning and pour in the water. Give these a stir and let them cook together until the liquid is absorbed.
- To serve, cut open a baked potato. Spread in a little butter if you choose.
- Spoon in some of the meat mixture.
- Top it with some of the sauteed peppers, a dollop of avocado/guacamole, a squeeze of lime and garnish with the sliced onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 736Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 382mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 42g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.