Tender beef brisket in a rich, caramelized onion sauce.
To make Beef Brisket with Caramelized Onions you will need:
- sweet onions
- ghee or unsalted butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- cayenne pepper
- beef brisket
- tomato paste
- beef broth
- white wine
- “minute” tapioca
- fresh thyme
- bay leaves
- slow cooker
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
This recipe begins with two sweet onions, peeled and sliced. I use Vidalia onions if I can.
The sliced onions cook in a skillet with a little bit of ghee.
The key to beautifully caramelized onions, is to cook them low and slow. Patience is key here!
The brisket is rubbed with a lovely blend of seasonings, and then sandwiched in the slow cooker between layers of the onions and other ingredients.
And with that, the hands-on portion of this dish is complete. Your slow cooker does the rest for you.
This can be served sliced or shredded.
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 2 sweet onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tb ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 Tb paprika
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 lb beef brisket
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tb honey
- 1 Tb tomato paste
- 1 c beef broth
- 1/4 c white wine
- 2 Tb "minute" tapioca
- 1 springs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaves
- To begin, melt the ghee in a large skillet and add the sliced onions. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, golden and caramelized. Low and slow is the key here.
- Meanwhile, combine the paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne in a small dish. Sprinkle the mixture all over the brisket and rub it in.
- When the onions are ready, stir in the garlic, honey and tomato paste.
- Add in the broth, wine and tapioca. Stir.
- Carefully pour half of the onion mixture into your slow cooker.
- Lay in the brisket.
- Place the thyme and bay leaf on the brisket, and add in the remaining onion mixture.
- Cover and cook on low heat, for 6-7 hours.
- Discard e bay leaf and thyme stem.
- Slice or shred the brisket.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 568Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 176mgSodium: 428mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 45g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.