Tender beef brisket in a rich, caramelized onion sauce.
To make Beef Brisket with Caramelized Onions you will need:
- sweet onions
- ghee or unsalted butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- cayenne pepper
- beef brisket
- tomato paste
- beef broth
- white wine
- “minute” tapioca
- fresh thyme
- bay leaves
- slow cooker
This recipe begins with two sweet onions, peeled and sliced. I use Vidalia onions if I can.
The sliced onions cook in a skillet with a little bit of ghee.
The key to beautifully caramelized onions, is to cook them low and slow. Patience is key here!
The brisket is rubbed with a lovely blend of seasonings, and then sandwiched in the slow cooker between layers of the onions and other ingredients.
And with that, the hands-on portion of this dish is complete. Your slow cooker does the rest for you.
This can be served sliced or shredded.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card! I would love to hear your thoughts!
Beef Brisket with Caramelized Onions
- 2 sweet onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tb ghee, or unsalted butter
- 1 Tb paprika
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 lb beef brisket
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tb honey
- 1 Tb tomato paste
- 1 c beef broth
- 1/4 c white wine
- 2 Tb "minute" tapioca
- 1 springs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaves
- To begin, melt the ghee in a large skillet and add the sliced onions. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, golden and caramelized. Low and slow is the key here.
- Meanwhile, combine the paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne in a small dish. Sprinkle the mixture all over the brisket and rub it in.
- When the onions are ready, stir in the garlic, honey and tomato paste.
- Add in the broth, wine and tapioca. Stir.
- Carefully pour half of the onion mixture into your slow cooker.
- Lay in the brisket.
- Place the thyme and bay leaf on the brisket, and add in the remaining onion mixture.
- Cover and cook on low heat, for 6-7 hours.
- Discard e bay leaf and thyme stem.
- Slice or shred the brisket.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.