This wonderfully rich dish is a great busy night meal, but don’t be deceived by the title. There’s no bourbon in here. The dish gets its name from the location it originated from, Bourbon Street in New Orleans.
Today I shared this recipe over at Hip Homeschool Moms, where I am a regular contributor. Over there I share lots of slow cooker recipes as well as other meals that can be made in a short amount of time, just like this one. When you are a homeschool mom, like I have been for 14 years, your day can get a bit crazy with lesson plans, science experiments and everything else. Quick meals and slow cooker meals are a life-saver.
- 1½ c uncooked rice
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lb)
- 1 sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tb coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger (or ¼ tsp dry ground ginger)
- ¾ c water
- ⅓ c honey
- ⅓ c soy sauce
- 2 Tb ketchup
- 1 Tb apple cider vinegar
- ½ – ¾ tsp red pepper flakes (according to taste)
- To thicken it:
- ¼ c cold water
- 1 Tb cornstarch
- To begin, cook your rice according to the type of rice you have. While it cooks, prepare the chicken.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle them with the sea salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium high heat. Toss in the chicken and cook until it is lightly golden in areas. This will take about 5 minutes or so, depending upon how hot your skillet is.
- Meanwhile, in a dish combine the garlic, ginger, water, honey,soy sauce, ketchup, apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes. Give those a stir.
- When the chicken is lightly golden, pour in the sauce. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- To thicken the sauce after it cooks, raise the heat in the skillet so that the mixture begins boiling again. In a small dish or glass, whisk together the ¼ cup of cold water and the cornstarch. Pour the smooth mixture into the skillet, and let it come to a boil, stirring continually. When thickens, turn off the heat.
- Serve this gorgeous chicken over a bed of your cooked rice.