This yummy Chicken Enchilada Casserole is such a convenient meal not only because it is budget-friendly with simple ingredients, but most of those ingredients are things you can just pull from your pantry.
Because of that, you can make this just about any night of the week. This is also a great recipe to make with some leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
So not only can you stretch your Thanksgiving turkey to make more great meals, this recipe makes enough that there are always leftovers in my house.
Try heating up the leftovers the next day, and wrapping them in a tortilla for a quick lunch!
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
You will need 3 cups of cooked, shredded chicken. I used two boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I had simmered in some seasoned water to cook. Like I mentioned above, you could also use three cups of shredded leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
Combine the shredded chicken in a large mixing bowl, with a can of refried beans, 2 cans of red enchilada sauce and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, black pepper, cumin and coriander.
Add in 2 cups of cooked rice and a can of drained whole kernel corn. Mix this all together.
Spray a baking dish (about 9×13 or so) with oil, then layer in half of the mixture. Top it with a cup of shredded cheese. You could use sharp cheddar, Monterrey-Jack, Colby-Jack, or a blend of “Mexican” style cheeses – whatever you happen to have in your fridge.
Layer the other half of the mixture in and top with an additional 1 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered. Allow it to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 3 c shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 can, 15 oz. refried beans
- 2 cans, 10 oz. red enchilada sauce
- 2 c cooked rice
- 1 can, 15 oz. whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 2 1/2 c shredded cheese, Sharp cheddar, Monterrey-Jack, Colby-Jack, or a blend of “Mexican” style cheeses – whatever you happen to have in your fridge, divided
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish (or similar size) with oil.
- Spread half of the mixture in the dish. Top with 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Layer on the remaining mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Allow it to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.