Enjoy the flavors of autumn with this Butternut Squash Soup from your slow cooker.
You see these beauties all the time at farmers markets. You often see them being used as autumn decorations. But these lovely autumn staples are even better when you cook them up.
To begin, peel & de-seed your squash, then cut them into 1 inch cubes.
Place those in your slow cooker along with some vegetable broth, salt & pepper. Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours.
Near the end of the two hours, dice up some red bell pepper and onion, mince some fresh garlic and grate fresh ginger.
Sauté the onions & bell pepper in a skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil.) When they are tender and just beginning to get some color, add in the garlic & ginger. Stir it together and cook for another minute.
Add them to the slow cooker and pour in some coconut milk.
With an immersion blender, mix this until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a potato masher and mash it as smooth as you can.
Add in peanut butter, fish sauce, soy sauce and curry powder. Stir them in, then cover and cook for another hour.
Stir in the juice of a lime just before serving.
Top with some sliced scallions and supper is done!
- 2 lb butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 can (15 oz.) coconut milk
- 1/4 c plain peanut butter (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- To begin, combine the cubed squash, broth, salt and pepper in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- When they are just about finished with the two hours, dice your red bell pepper and onion. Sauté these in a skillet over medium heat with the extra virgin olive oil.
- While they are sautéing, grate the garlic and fresh ginger.
- Cook the pepper and onion until they are tender and just beginning to get a little color.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for one final minute.
- Add them to the slow cooker and pour in the coconut milk.
- With an immersion blender, blend the contents of your slow cooker until they are smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a potato masher and mash everything until it is as smooth as you can get it.
- Add in the peanut butter, fish sauce, soy sauce, and curry powder. Stir these all in and cover & cook for one more hour. Just before serving, stir in the juice of a lime. Serve the soup topped with sliced scallions.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 359 Total Fat 26g Saturated Fat 18g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 734mg Carbohydrates 32g Fiber 8g Sugar 11g Protein 6g