Beef & Brew Vegetable Stew – a nice, chunky stew that is full of flavor and sure to please.
There is just nothing like a rich stew on a cool night. Don’t be intimidated by this recipe if you aren’t a beer drinker. Sorry folks, I can’t handle it! You can not taste beer in this stew, but it helps create a delicious broth. I promise you will love this!
The hot paprika in this recipe gives the stew a nice kick. If you are concerned about spice however, feel free to substitute regular paprika instead.
Make this stew for your family tonight!
- 2 lb cubed beef stew meat
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 3 Tb unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 Tb Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp hot paprika
- 1 carton (32 oz) beef broth or beef stock
- 1 bottle/can (12 oz.) lager style beer
- 5 parsnips, cleaned & roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, cleaned & roughly chopped
- 2 cups frozen green beans (or fresh if they are in season, trimmed and halved)
- To begin, sprinkle the stew meat with ½ teaspoon each of the salt & black pepper.
- In a Dutch oven or other large soup pot, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the beef and cook until it is browned.
- Remove the beef to a dish for the time being.
- In the Dutch oven, saute the diced onion and garlic in the butter & drippings over medium heat until tender.
- Add in the browned beef, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, hot paprika, beef broth and beer, as well as the remaining ½ teaspoon each of salt & black pepper. Stir together.
- Bring the stew to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1½ hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add in the carrots, parsnips and green beans and continue to cook until they are tender.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @cosmopolitancornbread on Instagram and hashtag it #cosmocornbread