This Minestrone is not your typical minestrone – in that it has been muscled up for my carnivore menfolk. You’ll find this recipe as well as 40 more amazing soups in this post.
To begin, cut up 5 slices of bacon into half inch pieces.
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven and toss the bacon in. Allow this to begin cooking over medium heat.
Mince 3 cloves of garlic and dice up a onion, and toss them in with the bacon.
While those get comfy, cut up some meat. I used just over a pound of beef chuck boneless ribs.
Toss the beef in with the rest, and let it begin to brown a little.
While those are doing their thing, cut up 4 stalks of celery with the tops, and 4 carrots.
Once your onions are tender and the meat has a little color, add the veggies into the Dutch oven, along with 28 ounces of diced tomatoes.
Rinse a cup and a half of chopped spinach, and press the water out.
Stir it in.
Pour in 4 cups of beef broth.
And for the seasoning…add in 1 Tb parsley, 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary, 2 bay leaves, a teaspoon fresh ground black pepper and a teaspoon of salt.
Finally stir in 1/2 cup of barley.
Bring this all to a gentle boil, turn down the heat, cover and simmer on low for an hour.
After an hour, peel and cut up 2 russet or gold potatoes. Add them in.
Then take a 14 ounce can of great northern beans, drain and rinse them. Put half of the beans in the pot, and the other half in a bowl. Ladle in some of the liquid from the soup.
Mash the beans with a fork until they are a pasty consistency.
Stir it all in and let it cook about 20-30 more minutes on low, until the potatoes are done.
Top with a little shredded parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb beef chuck boneless ribs
- 4 carrots
- 4 stalks of celery with tops
- 1½ c frozen, chopped spinach
- 2 (14 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
- ½ c barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 Tb dry parsley
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 white potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 14 oz can great northern beans
- parmesan for topping
- To begin, cut the bacon into half inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat and add in the bacon.
- Mince the garlic and dice the onion and add them to the pot.
- Cut up the beef into in inch pieces, and add them in.
- While they are cooking, chop your carrots and celery.
- When the onions are soft and the meat has some color, add in the carrots, celery, tomatoes, beef broth, herbs, salt, pepper and barley.
- Rinse and drain the spinach. Press out the water and add it to the soup.
- Bring this all to a gentle boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- After an hour, peel and cut up the potatoes.
- Rinse and drain the beans and add half of them to the soup, along with the potatoes.
- Place the remaining beans in a bowl and ladle in some of the broth from the soup. Mash them with a fork until they are a pasty consistency. Stir the mash into the soup.
- Continue to simmer this on low for another half hour, covered, until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve with some shredded parmesan on top.
With soup season arriving with the cooler weather, here’s a collection of 40 soup varieties from around the internet:
- Chicken Tortellini & White Bean Soup at Flour On My Face
- Chicken Gnocchi at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Chicken Cheese Soup by There and Back Again
- Chicken Tortellini Soup by Country Girl In The Village
- Chicken Soup with Leeks, Onions and Fennel by Shockingly Delicious
- Family Style Tablescape featuring Chicken Tortilla Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Yucatan Chicken Lime Soup (Sopa de Lima) by The Weekend Gourmet
- White Chicken Chili by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Ground Turkey and Vegetable Soup at The Messy Baker
- Chick-Fil-A Chicken Noodle Soup by Family Foodie
- Chicken Vegetable Noodle Soup at Cupcakes and Pearls
- Healthy Bean and Sausage Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Winter Chicken Stew by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chili with Black Beans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Vegetable and Beef Soup by Supper For a Steal
- Swabian Beef Spaetzle +1 Soup (Gaisburger Marsch) at Galactosemia in PDX
- Beef Pho Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef and Noodle Soup) by Neighborfood
Pork or Sausage
- Louisiana Caldo by Catholic Foodie
Under The Sea (Seafood Soups)
- Hearty Okra Shrimp Gumbo Laced with Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Bacon and Shrimp Bisque at Big Bear’s Wife
- Lobster Bisque by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chinese Fish Maw Soup by My Trials in The Kitchen
- Thai Curry Coconut Mussel Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
Eat Your Veggies (Chock Full o’ Vegetables Soups)
- French Onion Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Spicy Sweet Potato and Corn Soup at Magnolia Days
- Rather French Onion Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Pasta e Fagoli Soup at Cravings of a Lunatic
- Miso Soup by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Vegetable Consommé with Semolina Dumplings – Grießknödel at Masala Herb
- Vegetable Medley Soup with Broccoli and Leeks at Chattering Kitchen
- Smoky Kale and Tomato Soup with Garlic Croutons by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Ital Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup at The Lovely Pantry
- Chunky Vegetable and Barley Soup at Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup by The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Wild Mushroom Soup at Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Carrot Soup at Cookistry
- Country Split Pea Soup with Bacon and Potatoes at girlichef