This Minestrone is not your typical minestrone – in that it has been muscled up for my carnivore menfolk.
To begin, cut up 5 slices of bacon into half inch pieces.
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven and toss the bacon in. Allow this to begin cooking over medium heat.
Mince 3 cloves of garlic and dice up a onion, and toss them in with the bacon.
While those get comfy, cut up some meat. I used just over a pound of beef chuck boneless ribs.
Toss the beef in with the rest, and let it begin to brown a little.
While those are doing their thing, cut up 4 stalks of celery with the tops, and 4 carrots.
Once your onions are tender and the meat has a little color, add the veggies into the Dutch oven, along with 28 ounces of diced tomatoes.
Rinse a cup and a half of chopped spinach, and press the water out.
Stir it in.
Pour in 4 cups of beef broth.
And for the seasoning…add in 1 Tb parsley, 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary, 2 bay leaves, a teaspoon fresh ground black pepper and a teaspoon of salt.
Finally stir in 1/2 cup of barley.
Bring this all to a gentle boil, turn down the heat, cover and simmer on low for an hour.
After an hour, peel and cut up 2 russet or gold potatoes. Add them in.
Then take a 14 ounce can of great northern beans, drain and rinse them. Put half of the beans in the pot, and the other half in a bowl. Ladle in some of the liquid from the soup.
Mash the beans with a fork until they are a pasty consistency.
Stir it all in and let it cook about 20-30 more minutes on low, until the potatoes are done.
Top with a little shredded parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb beef chuck boneless ribs
- 4 carrots
- 4 stalks of celery with tops
- 1 1/2 c frozen, chopped spinach
- 2 (14 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 c barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 Tb dry parsley
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 white potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 14 oz can great northern beans
- parmesan for topping
- To begin, cut the bacon into half inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat and add in the bacon.
- Mince the garlic and dice the onion and add them to the pot.
- Cut up the beef into in inch pieces, and add them in.
- While they are cooking, chop your carrots and celery.
- When the onions are soft and the meat has some color, add in the carrots, celery, tomatoes, beef broth, herbs, salt, pepper and barley.
- Rinse and drain the spinach. Press out the water and add it to the soup.
- Bring this all to a gentle boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- After an hour, peel and cut up the potatoes.
- Rinse and drain the beans and add half of them to the soup, along with the potatoes.
- Place the remaining beans in a bowl and ladle in some of the broth from the soup. Mash them with a fork until they are a pasty consistency. Stir the mash into the soup.
- Continue to simmer this on low for another half hour, covered, until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve with some shredded parmesan on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 1332mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 10gSugar: 4gProtein: 41g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.