Chicken Tortilla Soup is a delicious southwestern style soup that is rich in flavor.
I really love making soup recipes. They are normally very simple to make and you can also usually make them in a single pot, so not a lot of dishes to wash when you are done. Too easy!
Now you all know that traditional tortilla soups have actual tortillas cut into strips and dropped into the soup like a noodle or dumpling. However, paleo-friendly tortillas have a tendency to completely dissolve when you put them in the soup. To work around that, I use paleo-friendly tortilla chips. I simply crush them in my hands and sprinkle them on top of the bowl of soup right when I serve it.
- 2 Tb coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and minced
- 2 cans (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 Tb cilantro (dry)
- 1 Tb chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tb tomato paste
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
- paleo-friendly tortilla chips such as Siete, for paleo
- 4 flour tortillas cut into 1 inch strips if non-paleo, for non-paleo
- To begin, heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat and saute the onion until it is almost tender.
- Add in the garlic and continue to saute for another minute.
- Add in the carrots, celery, jalapeno, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt and tomato paste. Stir it all together and bring it to a gentle boil.
- Nestle the chicken breasts down into the mixture. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook this for about 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Using a pair of tongs, remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Cut up or shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the pot of soup and stir it in.
- If you are serving the non-paleo version, stir in the tortilla strips.
- For the paleo version, serve it topped with some crushed tortilla chips.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 272 Total Fat 9g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 37mg Sodium 1251mg Carbohydrates 29g Fiber 5g Sugar 6g Protein 18g