Super cheesy dip slammed full with flavorful chorizo – this Chorizo Queso Dip is the perfect for your autumn get-togethers.
Today, I’m sharing a recipe for a delicious, creamy cheese dip. Put away the yellow bricks of fake cheese product – this dip uses real cheese (the only kind this Wisconsin-raised girl will use) and flavorful chorizo sausage.
This appetizer is great for football parties, holiday affairs… anything you would want a hearty, meaty cheese dip for!
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
To begin, you will need 8 ounces of chorizo sausage. Ideally you would want bulk sausage, but if you can only find sausage links, you’ll want three that are about bratwurst sized. If you are using those, slice open the casings and take out the filling.
Shred 10 ounces of extra sharp cheddar cheese. Set it aside for now.
Sauté the sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat until it is cooked through and crispy. While it cooks, use your spoon to break up the sausage into little bits and stir it continually.
Scoop the sausage from the skillet, place it on a plate that is lined with a paper towel.
To the drippings that are still in the skillet, add in 2 tablespoons of butter. Melt it over medium heat.
Sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of flour and whisk them together. Then let them cook together for one minute.
Pour in 12 ounces of evaporated milk, and whisk together. Bring this up to a gentle simmer and cook for a minute – stirring continually.
Reduce the heat to low and add in ¼ cup of Neufchatel cheese and half of your shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until it is melted in. Do the same with the other half of the cheese.
You May Also Like: Jalapeno Pimento Cheese Spread
Add in 2/3 cup of diced tomatoes with green chilies (drained).
Finally, add in most of your cooked chorizo and stir it all together. Reserve some of the chorizo to sprinkle on top as a garnish before serving.
Serve this with crackers, chips, pretzels or chunks of bread.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Click Here for More Appetizer Recipes
Chorizo Queso Dip
- 8 oz. chorizo bulk sausage
- 10 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 Tb flour
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 1/4 c Neufchatel cheese, light cream cheese
- 2/3 c diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- crackers, chips or bread chunks, for dipping
- To begin, sauté the sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat until it is cooked through and browned on the edges. While it cooks, use your spoon to break up the sausage into little bits and stir it continually.
- Scoop the sausage from the skillet, place it on a plate that is lined with a paper towel.
- Add the butter to the drippings that are still in the skillet. Melt it over medium heat.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk them together. Then let them cook together for one minute.
- Pour in the evaporated milk, and whisk together. Bring this up to a gentle simmer and cook for a minute – stirring continually.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the Neufchatel cheese and half of your shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until it is melted in. Do the same with the other half of the cheese.
- Add in the diced tomatoes with green chilies.
- Finally, add in most of your cooked chorizo and stir it all together. Reserve some of the chorizo to sprinkle on top as a garnish before serving.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.
This post was originally written in 2015 and updated in 2021.
17 thoughts on “Chorizo Queso Dip”
This dip looks perfectly cheesy, delicious good. The chorizo just makes it that much better!
OH EM GEEEE I am dying!! It sounds like something that would happen to me! We might not agree on our love for football, but we can both agree that this dip is DA BOMB!!
Oh no! I would have been pretty horrified also!
Your dip sounds so full of flavor and amazing. I need to give this one a try!
Oh my! What a story!! This Chorizo Queso looks creamilicious! yummmm
Oh my gosh what a memory to have! Totally laughing along with you! The dip looks AMAZING!
What a funny story! I bet football will always have a special place in your life. This dip is a must have for my next game day.
Just cracking up at your story. Not laughing AT YOU, but just at the entire spectacle of it! I’ll go to any home tailgating party you throw!
This dip sounds so flavorful and it looks amazing! Perfect party treat!
Now this looks like the perfect queso dip!
What a great story, Constance! I would have DIED. I’m not a huge fan either, but tolerate it. But now that I’ve married into a huge football family, I’m slowly learning the game. Somewhat.
Anything “slammed full of chorizo” makes my mouth water! Yum!
Oh no! i bet you were mortified when that dress came unsnapped! Your dip however looks delicious!!!
We got to a ton of football games! But honestly, I go for the socializing aspect ;) I’d have died if that were me preggo, and maybe kill my husband, lol. But I am glad you recovered
Oh! The recipe is amazing!! And poor you! I have 3 girls and a terrible pregnancy story for each other them. LOL!! I hope you recovered by eating lots of CHORIZO QUESO DIP.
LOL, yes it was something else!!! The things we go through for our kids ;)
Thank you Constance for the nice recipe. Have a good weekend.
Thank you Liz, you too!